VPN tunnel problem

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Sparky, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Ethereal (www.ethereal.com) is a superb open source protocol analyzer. Fast and easy to install, very flexible and powerful, and runs on Windows/Linux/Solaris/etc.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cheers, downloading now.

Will have another go tomorrow, fingers crossed! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Sparky,

Have you tried bringing the VPN down on both ends, then pinging from Main Office to Remote Site? Then ping from Remote Site to Main Office? That way, you've narrowed the problem down to the VPN itself.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. Sparky

Ok, had enough.

I’m ripping out both Netgear boxes next week for some better kit, will let you know how I get on. Looks like the client if going to be adding 7 more remote sites so stability is a big issue! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

I think you are right, new kit is the best answer. Budget permiting, some cisco gear would do very nicely :biggrin

The flexibilty and excellent debugs make troubleshooting so much easier than on kit like Netgear/Linksys/etc. Of course, the cost is higher, and that is a strong point in favour of units like Linksys for simple connections, but for businesses serious about solid reliability and flexibilty a good case can be made for more expensive gear.

I'm biased, as I enjoy working on Cisco kit, but it seems to pay for itself in terms of reliability and VPN options.

We recently did a WAN upgrade on a client company using 12 Cisco 2611's for WAN links, worked out very well and the 2611's can be had for a good price.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  6. Sparky

I’ve heard great things about Cisco kit but unfortunately I have no experience implementing a Cisco based solution. I’m aiming to study for the CCNA after I’ve completed the MCSE as I do want to start working with Cisco kit.

Looks like the solution will also have gateway AV\Anti-Spyware and also content filtering as I noticed that the administrator of the network had added some keywords to block some dodgy websites. I’m aiming to have everything installed for the end of next week.

Longest ‘easy one day job’ ever! :biggrin