VPN to slow and Leased Line to expensive, HELP!

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Alex399, Feb 18, 2010.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Check out Sam Knows that will inform you if you can even get SDSL in your area.

If not then you could look at WiMax with companies like Freedom 4, offer good coverage for a decent price.

If neither of those will do then, it's either get a massive bank of modems and group them together or leased line bud.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Thinking about it there are the wan accelarators like steelheads from riverbed systems

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

YES! SDSL! that looks very viable and affordable, I have already read about this type of connection but why I couldn't think of it myself I don't know, a bit forgetful of me :oops: thanks for the response anyway lads!

I will be recommending this to my line manager and Director today! as a cost effective solution :D
    Lets just hope he thinks I came up with this idea myself and he doesn't come across this thread :p

Edit: Ive already seen on the web its to expensive for us...

£170 per month for 2 Mb and about £350 per month for 4 Mb...
    A stable upload speed but still very expensive comparing the download speed to a 16 Mbps we get at the moment

as far as the Terminal Service goes Craigie, we do this at the moment for evening staff that work in the other branches but during office hours of 9-5 we need to have several computers/laptops free to be able to do this which we don't at the head office.

It seems that we are paying about £1000 to have the software developers integrate there software on a desktop PC at 2 of the other branches. At first I thought the Software could run slow off just a bog standard desktop PC but on the basis there are about 2-4 users at each branch it should be fine.

Another problem is synchronising the databases, as there will be 3 seperate databases.
    To get round this we are using a Terminal Service for evening staff as there are spare Laptops and Desktops to remotely connect to in order to get any updated information as once we have the 3 seperate databases they are no longer going to be synched in anyway what so ever.

I stressed to my manager how at the Head office we have a strange problem with our internet connection where it gets disconnected 2 or 3 times a day for some "unknown" reason and this poses a huge problem for a user at another branch to be using a terminal service in the evening hours from the the Head Office database when the connection unexpectedley goes down.
    Basically bottom line is, is it something straight forward to get all 3 databases to syncronise say after office hours then we would keep all databases updated to within 24 hours, evening staff would still have to chase up on any bookings made at another branch within the last 24 hours, or perhaps not! if this is something straight forward and the network can be designed to have the databases constantly syncronised? but this way the bandwith is purely just being used by updating the databases with each other in which case doesn't cause a problem as they can be using the software on a LAN.

I'm still an amatuer at this IT networking stuff so ask me if anything or hopefully not everything isn't clear in what Ive just mentioned :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Then i guess you'll have to go with a solution using magic :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

The WAN accelarators on there look like neat peices of kit, I'll make the suggestion to managers providing there not to pricy as the company I work for are in serious financial trouble and can't afford IT kit thats costs 1000's and 1000's.

Mwahahahahahahaha yeh thats a really pleasent way of you to say your screwed mate :behead

Not to worry though as its my line managers head on the line here not mine :D

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yep, there is only so far anyone can go mate.
    Bottom line is, if your company need (and it sounds like they do!) the performance and reliabilty of a leased line, they will have to put their hands in their pockets.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

they are 1000's and 1000's lol.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

They are really not cheap, but would do the job nicely and are cheaper then the fibre connections!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

yep 3 year, install was free with 3 year contract
    got it with THUS. had a leased line with them before and had almost no downtime, but this new line we had installed did cause quite a few problems (took ages to get installed and had quite a bit of downtime at first) but other than that, it was fine!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)