VPN Issue

Discussion in 'Networks' started by morph, Jul 2, 2008.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

Got somthing that really has me stumped - have a client who can connect to his ovvice VPN , via our test ADSL line or 3G card, works fine, we stick him through our firewall and there is a specific rule for him allowing any protocol (it got to that stage) between his office and us - i can watch the logs and see him leaving our network. Whilst connecting at his end = it starts to verify username/password and then hangs, and then gives an error 721 - remote computer not respondoing, i've done a bit of digging and looking at the logs i'm seeing some

fin psh ack
    rst ack

i'm wondering if this has got anything to do with ports closing and the connection timeing out?
    stumped...

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Have you got GRE protocoll open on the firewall?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda firewall are you using mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. morph

morph Byte Poster

Well were using watchgguards - but to be honest i dont think the problems with them - we've got an any protocol rule but just for the subnet (which is small) of users who need external access via their vpn's - got a few differant VPN clients being used as well. This guy whose useing a windows VPN client, he's still hanging when he leaves our network and then gets to his network and he gets verifying username and password and then it times out error 721 - i set up on my machine a VPN connection to his company - his credentials go through fine - his collesgues work fine, its got to be somthing specific to him - i've set up another VPN connection on his machine and the same thing is happening, i was thinking it was somthing to do with GRE -but the fact thats working for me and his colleague's means the firewalls gotta be fine and i see him leave our network, its got to be somthing specific to that laptop as his credentials work fine on other laptops....

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try logging on as a different user on the laptop, maybe something is cached in a temp folder or something like that.

Any AV\security software on his laptop that could be causing the problem?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs