VPC question for a newbie

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by thetokyoproject, Dec 11, 2007.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

I've set up w2k3 server on my main computer (not a virtual but an actual OS).

Now, if I install VPC and a virtual XP machine on this computer, can I still network these together and create a domain environment even though one is a virtual OS and one is an actual OS.

sorry for this fundamental simple question but i don;t really have experience in the field of virtual computing.

finally, has anyone successful got a mac OS or linux running on MS VPC?

many thanks.

Certifications: 271
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sure you can. I haven't used VPC much but it should be relatively easy. If you were trying to do it the other way around (XP host logging onto a virtual domain controller) it would be a little more difficult (but still doable).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yes no problem.

When you select the network adapter on the Virtual machine, make sure you choose the physical network adpater that is installed on the server (host). Then just make sure the guest and host are in the same subnet and bob's your uncle! 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

sorry stoney, but i must be a complete stupid fool or something.

i've got my VPC network adapter set to the real physical one on my w2k3 machine (which is disconnected).

i tried DHCP at 1st (my w2k3 as a dhcp server) but this wasn;t working.

so i resorted to fixed ip. both server and VPC in smae subnet and IP range. but i can;t ping either.

am i being a complete fool or what??? please help, cheers.

Certifications: 271
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If I remember correctly, sometimes Windows will require there be an actual network connection available before some networking related processes will work. I can't swear to that right now, but try connecting your 2003 machine to a router/some network connection and see if that helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with Freddy.. a media disconnected state will prevent the real NIC communicating.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)