Volunteering

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by linuxuser, Sep 6, 2016.

1. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

Has anyone had much luck with volunteering to build on their experience? How did you approach it?

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Tried to get voulentry experience from a few companies but never got anywhere. I was just emailing companies at random.

3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I was lucky, I knew one person who worked in a college and a school and I know that this has helped me get a job in the college I used to work in. I got my new job at the uni which was partially down to the voluntary work in the past. One of the questions was why do you want to work here. My response was ' I have wanted to work here for a long time which is why I jumped at the chance when I was offered voluntary work', which didnt do me any harm

If you dont know people from the place you want to get some exp, try the friend of a friend approach as everybody knows someone etc. It will be worth in the long run and if you really impress an opening may come up, you never know you may just get that bit of luck

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    JK2447 likes this.