VMware vSphere Fast Track Course - Online

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Phoenix, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

So after 8 years of using VMware I finally get to sit the course, and thus become a VCP finally
    I'm on day four so far and a bit disapointed that I have not learnt a single thing I didn't already know yet, and the course itself lacks talking about features such as vShield Zones, but the next few days go into VT, Linked mode VC and other such things, so maybe it will get a bit more interesting

I've been a VSP since 07 and a VTSP since it came out in early 08, be nice to finally add VCP to the mix and start working towards my VCDX

I'm looking to take the exam in a few weeks at Partner Exchange '10 usually a nice discount on exams at these events, and i'll need the downtime to study all the test topics not covered by the class :)

The online trainings ok, a lot less chatter between students than in person training, I guess thats to be expected, but it does have the added benefit of me being able to crank up the music, wear whatever I want and watch Hulu when I finish the labs early

I must say the recent thrust in VMware work for me has really sparked my interest again, I had really been waning since vSphere came out as I just have not had that many opportunities to work with it, time to get that home lab up and running again, if only the ML110 G6 was bloody supported (or somebody could assure me it works before I drop a grand on three of them) ;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Apparently you can install vSphere just fine on it.

http://www.techhead.co.uk/hp-prolia...worthy-virtualization-work-or-home-lab-server

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. TechHead.co.uk

TechHead.co.uk New Member

Hi Simon,

The only thing that I couldn't confirm when writing that initial post was whether the disk controller worked ok or not as it wasn't on VMware's HCL. I have finally managed to get my hands on a ML110 G6 and can confirm that ESX(i) doesn't detect it's new B110i disk controller unfortunately. Every other aspect of it under ESX(i) does however appear to work ok as expected. It is most likely a matter of time before the B110i is added into the drivers on the ESX(i) build as it is being used in many HP's entry level (ie: Proliant 100 series) range of servers.

So, for now, the only option would be to run your VMs over an iSCSI or FC connection to the ML110 G6 which is not ideal for all lab environments.

Cheers,

Simon
    www.techhead.co.uk

Certifications: VMware VCP, vExpert, MCSE, HP MASE, ASE
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Simon,

Thanks for the update, that will obviously teach me to read your site more thoroughly :oops:

Good name btw ;)

**Edit **
    Ahh I see you updated the site today :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA