VMware Vcenter 5 how to

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by tomshawk, Dec 16, 2011.

1. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Just checked and the Network config screen on ESXI also shows GB full Duplex connection

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Ok cool, just looking for a easy win, my lab is just running of some netgear 4 port GB switch and I cant even remember the name of the GB switch that my Lab vMotion traffic goes over it was 20 quid or so and works perfectly. Have you tried setting up an NFS datastore as well to see if you get the same issues?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

If you have PowerCLI installed you could have a poke around the logs to see if it will reveal more

Code:
    Connect-VIServer ESXiHostName

$outputfile = "C:\Scripts\Errors_Warnings.txt"

Get-LogType | %{(Get-Log  $_.Key).Entries | ?{($_ -like "*Warning*") -or ($_ -like "*Error*")} | Add-Content $outputfile}

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

I'm trying again now that I have replaced all the cables. I'll try this next.

Question dales, you mentioned you have traffic going through a different switch.
    I was thinking of having a small 8 port GB switch that the servers an NAS plug into, then have the main switch uplink into it?

I have not tried the NFS yet, I'll do that next

Thoughts, recommendations?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I would probably take her back to basics 1 host directly connected to the ReadyNAS and disable all the auth on the iSCSI connection, the logs should give you more info so we are pretty blind at the moment :) Delayed Ack use to give me a headache so could be worth a shot disabling that.

6. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Well, right now, I have the second Server turned off, no point in having it on until I get at least one working. ;)

Now, it takes about 20 minutes before it errors out instead of 3 minutes.

ESXi's event log shows nothing now not even the errors from above, and the error that comes up on-screen after 20 minutes just says Communication error with Host

I dont have PowerCLI installed yet. I'll do that next

7. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

OK, starting over from scratch

Blew off Datastore, deleted Storage adapter, deleted Lun from NAS

Recreating Lun now on NAS with no IQN number and no Chap. I'll let you know what happens.

8. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Well, Now i'm just getting frustrated.

Error states
    "A General system Error occured"
    Communication with the virtual machine might have been interrupted

It gives the time
    the target: Localhost
    and ESXi: 192.168.1.5

I dont get it because I can create a VM using the local datastore just fine and i'm getting good solid pings from the NAS

9. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

10. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

As much as I hate using a Beta, this is working.

I was able to create the VM, so I deleted it, recreated it using the IQN and its still working.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure I'll be back with questions once I get the VCenter installed. ;)
    and next time I'll post in the right forum.

You may want to move this one mods. ;)

11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Well done Tom :)

12. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Thanks Tom,

Now to install the bazillion windows updates, VCenter Server and get the other side up and running, then I'll be happy.

Question, outside of paying a fortune for a Backup solution for the VM's, i'd like to backup the vm's from the NAS to the internal drives on the Servers themselves.
    Is there a solution you know of to do this, maybe a script I can run from the VCenter Server.
    Sorry, remember I am new to VCenter Server and maybe it has the ability built into it and I just haven't installed it yet.

Thanks again for the assistance

13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

If you can't afford to spend anything on your backups then look at ghettoVCB but if you have a budget then give Veeam a call :)

dales likes this.
  14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Wot 'e said!

I've tested vDR which is vmwares backup solution thats included with essentials+ licences and it seems rather poo as a backup solution. One time it failed to do a backup but then continued to create snapshots so over the course of a day I had 50 snapshots in one vm that were not present in the snapshot places. I had to use the consolidate snapshot command that is now included in V5 which took about 12 hours to complete. Good job I was testing it and it wasn't live! Also the recommended storage sizes seem a bit small to me for its capabilities.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  15. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

After all that, vcenter only works on a 64bit OS. ARGG

Now, how do I tell the client, oops, sorry, you need to buy a new copy of windows just to run vcenter. I wish Dell would have said something. GeeZuz