VMWare USB

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by MattyW, Jan 8, 2006.

1. MattyW

MattyW Bit Poster

Just a word of caution: Was working on my VMware VM (Redhat 9) at work last week and was in the process of copying files to my USB flash disk. During the copying I returned to Windows to do some work and it attempted to claim the flash disk as its own. The long and short of it being my flash disk was rendered useless - can't even format it! Did some tests at work and it would appear that the chip has been damaged. I'll let you know if i get it working but in the meantime just wanted to make people aware of it.

Certifications: BSc
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Matt could you explain in more depth what happened exactly please. :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. MattyW

MattyW Bit Poster

Will do mate,

I have a Redhat 9 Vitrual Machine running on my Windows XP laptop. (Inspiron 8600). I share a windows drive so I can write programs and compile them in windows and also in linux using the vm.

I have used a USB memory stick for some time and have never had any trouble however on this one occasion I mounted it on my linux VM then started copying files from the stick to my VM. Whilst the copying was being done I 'broke' out the VM (Using the Ctrl+Alt method) and was about to start some work when I noticed windows had detected the USB stick (still being used by my VM) and claimed it. From that point on the stick has not worked. Hope that's enough information.

Certifications: BSc
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

How strange. Let us know if you find a fix for it. I would have thought physical damage to be unlikely and that it is a curruption issue.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Have you tried to mount the stick in Linux as well as Windows? I'm wondering the same thing as Bluerinse...either the data was corrupted or perhaps, it is formatted for a Linux file system and unaccessable by Windows. Just a thought.

Certifications: A+ and Network+