VMWare Server 2.0 and Vista

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by VantageIsle, Dec 22, 2008.

1. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys. Just a quick question really. I was wondering if any of you lot were running vmware server 2.0 on vista and how you were getting on.

I know vmware server works fine on windows xp, but when I installed it earlier this year on my vista machine it was really slow and sticky. I just unistalled it and worked with virtual pc 2007 instead which works a treat.

Since VMware server has had an update recently, i was wondering if the performance is better on windows vista.

Just thought I'd ask before installing it and building servers just to find its still a bit cack, performance wise.

thanks in advance

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I was the same as you, tried to use VM Ware on Vista and had a whole heap of problems.

Have been running MS Virtual PC 2007 ever since. If anyone has an update on this, that would be great.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've used it on both since it was in beta and have had no problems which weren't replicated from one O/S to the other. My main gripe with it is that the WebUI is far, far too slow compared to Server 1.x. Prior to getting ESXed up at home I actually uninstalled it and reverted to 1.x after getting frustrated beyond belief with the speed, and the fact that VMWare put the same sort of timebomb code into it that f***ed a lot of people who upgraded early to ESX 3.5u2.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em