vmware installed...wow! few questions....

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Wires_are_bad, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

hey guys

Spent alot of the day reading through posts on the virtual pc section of this forum. Didnt know a whole lot about vpc's, but I just installed vmware and im very impressed!

What I would like to do is to create a small network. One virtual pc as the server and two/three virtual pc's as members of the domain.

I havent got alot of server experience so this would help me alot. (need to know the ins and outs of active directory).

What server software would be recommended for a novice? Is there any trial versions that I could possibly download?

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

You can download a trial version of Windows Server 2003 from the MS website. Or a distro of Linux running Samba (if you're going to have Windows clients) which is, of course, free. I believe Debian is a popular distro for a server but I'm a complete Linux noob so I'd wait for Freddy to come along if I were you.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well you aren't going to discover the ins and outs of AD with three computers in a VM environment, with no formal study background. It will help to give you the gist but AD is very complex and a lot of what it can do you can't easily replicate on a test network.

It will give you a good insight into what can be done using group policy, and Active Directory Users and Computers.

It won't help you much with Active directory Sites and Services or Active Directory Domains and Trusts.

Linux/Samba will not help you learn Active Directory either (sorry Baba) :rolleyes:

However, you have to start somewhere and what you have in mind is a good place to start :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, I didn't really read the bit about Active Directory, just skimmed the OP. :oops: Oh well.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

thanks for the replies :D

Don't get me wrong, I dont expect to learn everything, just thought it would be a good place to start!

As I said Im a novice when it comes to servers,etc. so if theres anything you can suggest to help me learn with the use of vmware then I would appreciate it :D

My workplace has a server running "server 2003" OS with roughly 20 client PC's. I just thought it would be good to learn the basics at home first of all.

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+