VMware Help?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Leey2000k, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

Hi Guys,
    Hope your all well! :biggrin Been busy plowing through my MCDST Training material :blink

Anyways I have been looking into creating a Network to practise allot of the requirements for the exams, I do allot of this stuff at work now but that doesnt really allow me to practise incase of a mistake :cry:

Anyways I wanted to know what software I would need to create a simple network with a server running Win 2003 and two connected PC's running Windows XP?

I imagine I would need:

1) VMware
    2) Windows Server 2003
    3) Windows XP

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance guys,
    Lee :D

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: MCSDT
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, yes...basically. The current version of VMware available for this purpose is VMware Workstation 5.0. If you haven't had a look at it, try this Clickable Link. It really is handy. Actually, you can create as many virtual computers as you want limited only by space on your host's hard drive. You are limited in how many you want to run at the same time by the amount of RAM on your host machine. The VMs share resources with the host so If you've got say 2 gigs of RAM on board, the host and your three VMs will all have to share it.

You can set the size of the HDDs and amount of RAM on your VMs and even change them after you've created them. You can set networking up in a number of ways including bridging your virtual network to your real one. They can all be on one subnet so if you have three VMs and two actual computers, they will form a larger network. Your VMs will even be able to take dynamic addressing from your DSL or cable modem if it's set up as a DHCP server.

Feel free to ask more questions as you get set up. You can also ask questions on VMware's discussion forums Here but to post, you have to set up membership based on your customer ID.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks for that Trip. It is something which i plan to do in the not so distant future. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

And with the release of version 5.0, you can create "teams", which in essense is a virtual network you create.

I have created at least a dozen teams. One team is juat a plain server/client setup, all the way to multiple server/multiple client setups.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

teams are a bit of a godsend, and with the right setup, i can send remote commands to my vmware machine and fire it up while im at work for me to connect for testing purposes, very bloody handy :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0