VMWare Converter Beta

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Phoenix, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

VMWare recently released a Beta of VMWare Converter, the evolution of their P2V software, this product allows you to migrate a physical machine to a virtual one, on the fly, with no downtime to the original physical machine, a very powerful migration tool!

I have some screen shots of one of the processes at the link below, this is a Virtual machine to a Virtual Server migration, so nothing too flash, ill screen shot the physical one later when i'm at home with my VC/ESX boxes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrpheo/sets/72157594353537702/show/

I was pleased to hear that VMWare Converter Starter edition will be free at GA whilst VMWare Converter Enterprise edition will be free for those with VC support contracts
    Whilst the product is similar to products available for a while from over vendors (re Platespin, Altiris etc,) it is nice to see the effort to migrate to VMWare made easier, and free!

The only limitation I have seen so far between the versions is that Enterprise edition can start off remote migrations where as Starter requires the software to be installed on the local physical machine

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Friggin LEA firewall and content filter! :x :cussing

Guess I'l take a look later then. Sounds good though. 8)

3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

looks good... im might just switch the VM Ware... unless anyone knows of a M$ Virtual PC equiv

@ SGUK - haha! i know how you feel bro!

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow Phoenix that's really cool, and the slide show too very nice.

The question is does it work well? please keep us up to date on your experiences - cheers Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The product works very well so far mate, and is easily comparible to Platespin or Leostreams offering
    The migration took under 20 minutes on a 100mb network and booted up with one 'service could not start' error, however i'm not sure if these were present before or not, i dotn reboot my DC that often :)

suffice to say it worked flawlessly and ill continue to P2V my other systems when i get a bigger ESX platform to play with

As i mentioned the fact that this product does hot migrations whilst being free is a big step, for comparison an unlimited perpetual license for P2V could cost in the region of 15 - 20 grand

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Very nice Pheo.:D

I'm jealous.:cry:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685