vmware and citrix reading material

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by dales, Aug 27, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest some good books for studying and learning about vmware (foundation) and citrix. At the moment we have just deployed both at work so they dont need to be tied to exams yet, but I think I'll go for a citrix cert next after the 291, so a head start would be good.

Thanks

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nothing really any good about Citrix out there. I've got a couple, but they both relate to early versions of CItrix (XP and PS 3.0) and are both pretty pants. Best bet there is to go to Citrix's website (one of the good technical vendor websites with mountains of information and guides buried away) or Brian Madden's site - the authoritative Citrix & TS site as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding VMWare - up until a week ago I would have said the same thing - the only even remotely decent book I'd read on VMWare was Edward Haletky's book - which is so riddled with inaccuracies and typos that its rendered unreadable. Then, last week, I bought Mastering VMWare Infrastructure by Chris McCain. Wow! What a book - the best all-round guide to ESX possible. It covers everything you'll need to know - from the basics right up to some more advanced concepts. Check it out!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thanks for that, just ordered the vmware book. I know we only have vmware foundation but the concepts should be similar. Thanks for the advice.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Banned

Recently i complete my Citrix CCA 4.0 and its realy feeling great

cuz of some great dumps

i got the dumps from ***removed braindump link*** hope this one helpful to others.

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Uhm...... Dales wants to LEARN these subjects, not dump them.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Luddym's right, I would actually like to know what im talking about rather than cheating my way to unemployment!

Mods! any chance of removing this linky.

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Dales, I have just started to get involved with Citrix at work. Our clients use XenApp Presentation Server 4.5 and I was looking at doing the Exam 259 at some point in the future.

I have searched around and cannot find any information on this particular exam. However Citrix do have coming into press soon a XenApp book. I'm not able to find the exact location as our firewall blocks Amazon, but I believe its called XenApp Platinum Edition.

Hope that helps!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thanks for that, I've already got the book zeb has pointed out and will have a cruise round amazon to see if I can find that citrix book as well. we got 2 different versions of citrix here and have just put vmware foundation in at a small branch office so i've been using both for a while, but it would be nice to see a fuller picture than just the stuff I use daily!

Found it on amazon ISBN-10: 0071545972 around 27 of your great british pounds
    or theres the advanced concepts ISBN-10: 0071543813 for 31 pieces of gold coinage

9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Me too... it's coming tomorrow, when I know I am home. :D Thanks Zeb.

10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

It looks like a really good book, just read a chapter or two but i really should be reading all my 291 books, its kinda dawning on me what a hard slog the 291 is gonna be.

11. GiddyG

I read a few chapters last night. It's well written, and seems nicely 'laid out'. I think the idea of DRS is cool, IMHO. Thing is, how often is DRS used, and how useful is it in a real virtualised environment?

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

All the time - one of the biggest benefits of ESX imho

We use resource pools for our VMs as follows:

Critical (tier 1)

Semi-critical (tier 2)

Non-critical (tier 3)

Test/Dev (tier 4)

Using those tiers, we allocte resource pools as required - for instance, we know that x number of servers in tier 2 often use up sh**loads of CPU when crunching data (during the nights when reindexing or running batch jobs). We therefore allocate resources via DRS to cope with this.

DRS, VMotion and Storage VMotion are the biggest 'wow' factors for me in ESX. I'm also looking forward to getting to grips with Site Replication - moving our DR CoLo to the US next year and will be making heavy use of SR then.

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I personally get on my Citrix information from their web site as I don't think the books out there are worth the £££:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. NWD

NWD Bit Poster

Would you mind posting some links to this documentation from the Citrix website, wouldn't mind having a look at this. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, VCP
    WIP: 70-649
  15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

16. GiddyG

Thanks for this Zeb. It's very much appreciated. I'm just having a read through chapter 9.