VMWare: A virtual Windows Small Business Server 2003

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by tripwire45, Apr 10, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I need to create a virtual Windows SMS 2003 on my lab machine. When I create the basic machine, I get options for guest OSes like Windows Server 2003 Standard and Enterprise editions but nothing quite so detailed as SMS 2003. I chose Windows Server 2003 since SBS 2003 is based on that OS and gave it 512 MB of RAM and a 4 GB HDD. Sound right to you or have I missed something? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I would just pick the OS type that your base OS will be, windows 2000 server if that is what you will be installing it on. Think of SMS 2003 as an application rather than an OS. You will also need to install SQL on a machine ( or VM) to install SMS 2003. I recently had SMS 2003 installed in a test environment until I needed the machines for testing trusts between us and our parent company. I didn't get very far with it though, I need to resurrect that test environment.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Trip

How are you?

My question has to be "why"? SBS has a number of wonderful features (I ran a SBS system for 2 years but would never, ever recommend that anybody on the planet run it - from a technical point of view. From a commercial point of view I's say to any small business Go for it").

Like Phil I'd suggest it was W2K/W2K3 plus a number of applications (Exchange and SQL)

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Why do I want to run SBS 2003 in a test environment? To test it, of course. Actually, my NDA doesn't permit me to disclose details. I just need it to be able to run so I can put it through a few paces. Turns out the disk that was promised by Saturday has yet to materialize. Ball's in the other party's court again.

Sandy...I'm fine. Thanks. :)

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Trip

There great those NDA's.

Good to hear you are good.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oops (maybe). I started the installation of SBS about 30 minutes ago and realized that I only gave the virtual machine a 4 GB HDD. The instructions on the box says it needs 5 GB minimum to load the OS and the manual says 6 GB. Funny, I didn't get an error saying the HDD space is too small, though. Guess we'll see. I did create a second HDD with 4 GB of space but of course, you have to select someplace to install the OS so I selected the unpartitioned space (all of it, of course) on the first HDD. I have no idea how this will turn out but it might be interesting. If the OS loads completely on the first virtual drive, I at least have a second to load additional features and such (and since it's a test machine, I won't really need it to store huge amounts of data). We'll see how this works out.