VMware 2015 Certification Offerings

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by SimonD, Jan 10, 2015.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's been a while since I last updated this so I thought it about time to provide some new VMware certification information.

The new four solution tracks that you can take with regards to VMware certifications, these are:

Cloud Management Automation (CMA)
    Data Center Virtualisation (DCV)
    Desktop and Mobility (DTM)
    Network Virtualisation (NV)

For each of these tracks there are a number of certifications you can take, starting with:

VMware Certified Associate (VCA).
    VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
    VMware Certified Implementation Expert (VCIX), this replaces the previous VCAP exams and is a single 2 hour exam, although this is a reduction in exam time we are assured that this hasn't lead to the exam being dumbed down, you require the VCIX to advance to the VCDX
    VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX)

VMware recently released the VCIX (VMware Certified Implementation Expert) certification, this exam can be seen as an equivilant exam to the VCAP level exams, the VCIX shows your experience in implementing VMware Technologies although currently the VCIX is only currently available for the Network Virtualisation solution track it has been announced for the availability of the VCIX - DCV exam, more information on this exam can be found at https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=62463&ui=www_edu.

VMware are constantly improving their certification offerings, they have just announced the availability of the VMware VCP 6 Cloud certification, this will be based on the new vRealize Suite of products instead of the vCloud Director Suite that was covered in the VCP Cloud offering.
    VMware have also announced the new VCP 6 DCV exam, this covers the requirements for vSphere 6 and training can be arranged on the VMware site https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=62349&ui=www_edu.

VMware also recently released the VCP-NV exam, this is based on the new NSX platform and for a short while were allowing all current CCNA+ certified candidates to sit the VCP-NV exam without attending a qualifying course, however if it hasn't expired already it's due to do soon.

Previously VMware allowed you to pass the VCAP Admin exam and gain a VCP certification, however with the new vSphere 6 track the VCAP has been removed and replaced with the VCIX certification instead. More information needed for existing VCAP holders to see what the upgrade process is for them.

One final piece of important information. VMware made the decision to reduce the validity of the VMware VCP exam, giving it a two year life cycle, the VCP expiration would be renewed for every new VCP or VCAP Admin exam you pass.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Nice summary Simon :-)

I'm sure you're aware of the launch event next week - be ready to update the post ;-)

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Absolutely mate :)

Were you in New Orleans this week?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Nope - I was originally invited, but stayed at home - someone had to hold the fort in Frimley ;-)

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Oh that reminds me, when are you becoming part of the Staines Massive?? ;)

From what I heard New Orleans was really good.

6. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Not for some months yet, thankfully!

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So with yesterdays announcement of vSphere 6 comes announcement of a couple of new certifications.

Please read through the original post to see the additions.

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Interesting stuff with the new VCIX direction... Would definitely tackle that track now! Just need to upgrade my VCP5 to VCP6 I believe?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I am lead to believe that if you have one exam in the VCAP 5 family you can sit the remaining VCIX exam to attain the VCIX certification.

I am looking forward to playing with 6, some decent technology coming in.

VCAP 5 DCA and VCP-NV first tho (although I am not sure if in that order yet).

10. yung lee

yung lee New Member

I am planning to learn for VCIX-NV

Do you know if there is a study guide for it ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018