VM Log in issues

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Leey2000k, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Well VM is running Server 2003 fine but i have 1 small question, My computer only has 512mb Ram and I wanted to be able to set up 2003 server and create accounts and log into them, however I didnt really want to run 2 VM machines due to the drain on the available ram but heres the problem -

My Computer - Win XP with 512mb Ram

VM Computer - Server 2003 Using about 256mb Ram

I wanted to be able to log onto the new domain I've created has different users which I've created however I cant log off my account on Win xp because it will close down VM ie no server then to log on to - Do you guys now of any way i can log onto my domain without logging off my account or installing another VM System???

Thanks,
    Lee

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: MCSDT
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The only way that I think you will be able to do this would be to reduce the amount of RAM given to the VM.

I Have 2 Win2K3 servers running on Virtual PC with 128mb and they run ok, even when both running.

I simply installed them with 256MB, shut them down and re-allocated memory.

Set your self up with an XP VM which runs with 64 mb of RAM. It will be slow, but should still work.

8)

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sure, set up vmware to run as a service and then even the host machine can join the domain. I remember reading this article about how to do it. Unfortunately it's subscriber only. If you want to PM me we can do something about it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685