VM first time user - questions

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Jakamoko, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi,

Just installed VMWare and playing with it to get a feel. Two questions first of all....

*Does it default to run within a window, or can I have a virtual machine running full screen ?

*When I'm "in" the virtual machine, is there an easy way to switch back to use the host, as my k/b and mouse seem locked within the vivrtual machine, and short of hitting <ctrl><alt><del> I don't seem to be able to grab them back, to continue other tasks on the host. EDIT: Just found the "<ctrl><alt> to release cursor" option...sorry.

EDIT2: OK, found both answers now...

Sorry if these questions are overly simple for this Board, but I figure if I'm asking them, then I may not be the only one ....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

nothing is too simplified, were happy to help all manner of queries! :)

just to put this in perspective for our other new VM users

VMWare uses a 'hook' key combination to hand control back over to the host machine, the default is Ctrl+Alt
    if you ever plan on using Linux you may wish to change this to something like Ctrl+Alt+Shift as Ctrl+Alt is used by Linux

likewise it uses Ctrl+Alt+Insert as a Ctrl+Alt+Del replacement (to stop your machine trying to lock), be warned if you change your hook keys this also changes (for instance Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Insert)

Full screen can be attained by clicking the Full Screen Icon above the VM window, you can return to windowed mode by clicking your hook keys :)

(to change hook keys goto.. Edit -> Preferences -> Hot Keys)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0