Vlans and DHCP question?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by mentman, Sep 17, 2009.

1. mentman

mentman Bit Poster

Hi,

Could anyone help me with this question?

If your designing a LAN, and you have building a, b and c, and for each building you have a separate vlan to cut down the broadcast traffic etc.

I know that you need to have a separate subnets for each vlan, as intervlan routing is a must, but my question is, how dose the dhcp server know what address range to send out to the the correct vlan, so that the all the buildings have there own address pools for there respective vlan.

Or do you need a separate dhcp server with its own pool for each vlan/address range?

Sorry if this is a dumbass question, im not to hot on MS/DHCP.

Thanks ppl!

Certifications: CCNA, CCENT, ITE, 642-812 BCMSN
    WIP: 642-901 BCSI
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

you can have your router configured to forward DHCP requests on. If you google "DHCP Relay" you'll find more info than i have.

EDIT: relay doesn't have to be done by a router

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

You will need a DHCP Scope for each VLAN.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5