Vista forgotten password!

Discussion in 'Software' started by asje1, Jan 17, 2008.

1. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Hi all, similar to topic: http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread21791.html

Basically my mum got a new PC, shes new to all this 'computer stuff'.

Any how, shes forgotten her password - no hint set either!

I have the vista disk, its late and i have work tomorrow - busy over weekend, so i thought before wasting my time trying to boot from disk and use that to reset password if possible...

You guys got any resolutions?

Thanks

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you tried the administrator account with a blank password?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd say use a password changer tool like ERD commander.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Vista is rather more difficult for cracking passwords than XP. This is because Vista uses NTLM Hashes to encrypt the passwords in the SAM database. XP on the other hand uses LM Hashes by default for all passwords below a certain length.

However it is still possible provided the user hasn't followed good password practices:

alpha numerical
    upper and lower case
    avoided dictionary words
    used a length greater than 14 characters

If they have used the above then forget it! Whilst it could still be done it would take years to crack using your average PC.

Follow the steps listed here using the CD boot image:
    http://www.loginrecovery.com/

Type in the NTLM Hash for the account you want to crack and wait 72hrs. You can get it mailed to you quicker but they charge for that!

Alternatively you could use ERD commander as suggested above. This will reset the password. However if your using EFS you'll no longer be able to access your data.