Vista certs?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 20, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I'm lucky I have no woman to nag me heh heh :biggrin

Do you think the 70-270 and MCAS would be possible without on the job experience? The MCAS doesn't look difficult at all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Difficult to say. A few of the helpdesk guys at my work took the 70-270 and failed it and they have the ‘hands on experience’.

Although industry experience is very important some people are just carried along by other people in their place on work and don’t fully understand what is going on. When they are faced with an exam and there is no-one to turn to and they can’t use Google they are truly lost and fail the exam.

If you take the time to learn the material for the 70-270 and fully understand it then there is no reason why you can’t take the exam without having any IT experience. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

I will always study and practice until I totally understand anything I want to do, my goal isn't to just pass an exam it's to learn first then pass.

4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That’s the right attitude to have mate.

The amount of people who talk complete BS because they have a few certs is untrue.

New guy: Yes I have the MCSE etc. etc.
    Me: Cool, can you install a new domain controller and a Cisco firewall for me please.
    New guy: Errr, you want me to do whaaaaaaat?!??!
    Me: FFS! I`ll do it myself.

:biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The 70-270 is the first of the MCSA exams. If I were you, I'd wait to see how XP behaves in a network domain environment before attempting it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee

I understand that really it should be a workplace environment I've got little network at home and may add another PC with Vista too.

BTW BM whats your book called? I have forgotten and I have some serious reading to do because as soon as my debts are gone it frees me up to be able to study and take exams when I am ready and not when I can afford............I feel like I have been ready for the A+ for years.

7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MCAS range of certs aren't technical, they're in the MS business range of certs. IMO, yes you can do the MCAS: Vista without job experience. While they don't look difficult, don't mistake that for being easy or "a walk in the park" (but compared to the MCP range or the MCTS/MCITP range they are). Pass score for the MCAS: Vista is 653.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. BosonMichael

Ah, his Google-fu is weak. 8)

Sorry, man, couldn't resist. :p

Sybex MCTS: Microsoft Windows Vista Client Configuration Study Guide for Exam 70-620

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

10. greenbrucelee

Don't worry Ken I will never take any certs as easy, but certifications and qualifications are only hard if you do not fully understand everything. I plan to have the N+ and MCDST this year, hopefully by Autumn then I will make a start on the MCAS

I could remember if your book was MCITP or MCTS anyway its another on the list to get as you can't have too many resources.:blink

11. greenbrucelee

I just saw the PDF of the Index on chapter one, it looks like one huge read :blink

12. GiddyG

I have been reading it over the last 5 or 6 nights.

It is a hefty volume, about half the size of the Meyers A+.

That said, there is tonnes of stuff in it... if you're looking to do Vista, it's the business. :biggrin

13. BosonMichael

And here I was, thinking it was a little too small. Whew!!!

14. GiddyG

The only thing you left out was the kitchen sink... oh no, hang on, that's on page 452. 8)

15. greenbrucelee

So I am gonna need a new cabinet for books :blink

Here's the plan: N+, MCDST, MCAS + 2 books for each cert :blink

I'll get my 12 year old nephew to build the cabinet he likes doing that sort of thing :twisted: