Vista 32bit or 64bit?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrNice, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

yeah that was what i was worried about. hardware isnt really my specialty, so i dont keep current on the technologies. Have no idea what the limitations on the 64-bit processors are.

Im about to build a new PC, and will likely get a 64-bit processor for future upgrades, but given the above debate, ill stick with a 32-bit version of Vista.

On the flipside, if you ran 64-bit vista on a 64-bit processor, what benefits would you notice?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm running 32-bit XP on my 64-bit C2D (which, by the way, I ***highly*** recommend).

If you run 64-bit Vista on a 64-bit processor, you won't notice any difference on 32-bit apps. There aren't enough 64-bit apps out there to worry with it (in fact, I honestly don't know of any). And, as discussed previously, you might have trouble finding 64-bit drivers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life