Virus thats in the quarantine folder

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by jamie2oo6, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What a superb answer to Boyce's question that was!

Harry you da man 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. jamie2oo6

jamie2oo6 Bit Poster

hi ppl i tryed to reformat the computer again today so what i tried was going in to the bios settings and making sure the 1st boot was the dvd cd rom drive, i had the 1st master boot cd in and when i tried it a screen came up saying press enter when ready to0 boot and it would then come up saying boot failure reboot and use proper boot

i have already reformated before with these 3 boot cds any1 got any ways to help me :(

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Is this "master boot CD" a copy or is it an original CD. It may be that if someone copied the disk, they did not do a proper image of the original and hence missed the boot sector. You need a proper bootable OS or recovery CD in order to boot from it.

4. jamie2oo6

jamie2oo6 Bit Poster

they worked the last time these 3 cds that i have and it restores windows xp when i got my pc the guy told me to copy it on to 3 cds and these are the 1s i am ment to use to reformat the pc with

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well if you have correctly set the BIOS to look at the CD first (which it sounds like you have), then it should boot from it, after you press the anykey :biggrin

If this isn't happening, my guess is the CD is now dodgy. Can you try booting from it in another PC, just as a test. Don't format someone else's hard drive though, just boot and cancel out :eek:

6. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Incorrect...

They sound like they are either backup [NOTE non bootable CD's - possibly prior to the XP SP2 upgrade ... :( ] or vendor recovery disks from the likes of ACER, HP, Dell or IBM....this is vendor dependant, and meant to be used AFTER booting the PC with either the proper XP CD or at least a boot floppy, and *may* work to get you system going
    [could take a few hours]

- OR -

Therefore you should also have the original XP CD from the computer supplier that comes with the official licence key for XP...btw - this is what you should use to do a boot,recovery and fixmbr on the hard drive [a 10 minute process]

Noting that if you bought a PC from a recognised shop they are legally required to supply you an OEM XP licence with the PC providing that is what you ordered...
    You of course are then should hold onto your legal XP copy and not give it to anyone else.

Even with Norton's acting like ratware - formatting the whole thing is a drastic step as you will lose all your work, I have removed Nortons by using various utilities but this is some time ago...

A thing to try is to get into Computer Management then services and set the Norton programs default startup from automatic to manual and reboot...then try removing all Nortoin's apps:
    [right click on "my computer", manage, services and applications, services, and look for a norton app and go properties set to manual rather than automatic and reboot to enable the changes]

HTH

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Note that a number of vendors no longer supply the 'recovery' CDs, but instead give you instructions on how to make them.

One of these CDs should be able to boot though.

I think we need the make and model of this machine, as it is, as supag33k states, vendor specific.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Thats why i dont use NAV...

...so any way :offtopic

try using msconfig in safe mode, deselect everything norton related in selective mode, restart and then try...

or u can use a madboot cd to format ur drive. think you may be able to fdisk your mbr in the cd...

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

So I've had a little dig. It would appear on modern *BIG* drives that there is about 32K of space in the 'boot' track. Plenty of space for nasties!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm about as much available space as a ZX Spectrum, and you could play chess on that :biggrin