Virus thats in the quarantine folder

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by jamie2oo6, Feb 14, 2006.

1. jamie2oo6

jamie2oo6 Bit Poster

Hi ppl i had a virus and norton anti virus 2005 moved them to the quarantine folder.But its taken up like 14 gigabytes of memory and i cant delete them :( i been trying to reformat the computer but i have windows xp service pack 2 and i dont know how to do it.Can anyone please help me ?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you want to reformat - i.e. wipe the lot - then boot with the XP disk.

Say install. It will say there is a system already there - say delete.

Say use whole disk to install, then install.

Job done!

I don't know Norton (and wouldn't let it anywhere near my machine) but there ought to be a place to delete the quarantined files.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yikes, that is one helluva big virus :eek:

If you uninstall Norton, which I do on a regular basis it will ask you whether you would like to delete the items in quarantine.

I have never clicked anything other than the un-install option :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I haven't used Norton in quite awhile but I thought there was an option to delete files from quarantine. Also...that's one huge quarantine folder. Just how many viruses did Norton snag, anyway?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. jamie2oo6

jamie2oo6 Bit Poster

not sure on howmany viruses it was but it kept renaming to a different file name everytime norton deleted it so it ended up with lots of files in the quarantine folder. I have a problem am trying to reformat but i have windows xp service pack 2 and i cant seem to reformat with this service pack. But ive reformated with service pack 1 before so am trying to uninstall sp 2 and it wont let me :( anyone got any ideas ?

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am not sure I understand what your problem is. You can format your drive regardless of what service packs are installed.

Boot from your XP CD, and setup will start automatically, from there chose to install XP to whichever partition you want and when the correct setup screen appears, chose to re-format the partition and then setup will re-format it and install a fresh copy of XP. Note though, you will lose all data on that partition!

7. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

reformating is a very drastic solution to your problem. you should be able to clear out your nav quarantine folder. in nav go to 'reports' and select 'view quarantined items'. from there you should be able to delete them.

8. jamie2oo6

jamie2oo6 Bit Poster

i already tried putting in the reboot cd and restarting but it just loads up windows xp with the screen that comes up with the user names :(

9. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

Hi Just a thought but worth a go. When you first turn yuour computer on go in to BIOS (F2 or Delete key) and go to your boot up options and select first boot device as your cd-rom. Save settings and exit. Your computer should boot from CD. Failing that let your computer boot up as normal, put in your Windows CD-ROM and when the install screen appears select install Windows, on the next screen select New Installation. That should do it.

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  10. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Think i can help you on that one matey , i seem to recall the same problem ? I trhink i selected the quick format option , and that seemed to get rid of the screen your on about , PM me if your still getting stcuk tho

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  11. jamie2oo6

jamie2oo6 Bit Poster

kewl ill give it a try m8 when i come back from my grans a need to go out for a bit ill be back on soon but

12. jamie2oo6

jamie2oo6 Bit Poster

hi ppl any idea s on how to get rid of norton anti virus from my pc? i already tried using control panel add and remove and it says it removed it but when i go to install a different anti virus it says a still need to remove norton :( can any 1 help

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Open Add/Remove programs again and look for anything that says "Norton" on it. As I recall, there are several elements besides the main program that need to be deleted in order to completely get rid of it.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. jamie2oo6

jamie2oo6 Bit Poster

i have already looked m8 but theres nothing left that says norton in the add and remove programs bit :(

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That's Norton for you, not only is it a major resource hog, it can be as hard as a virus to remove completely too :twisted:

If I were you, I would google the exact version of Norton AV you have installed, with the words "removal tool". There is most likely a tool out there that has been designed to remove all the entrails the ad/remove process leaves behind.

I can't do this for you because you didn't give enough information re version etc.

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

While on the subject of formatting due to virus/spyware problems is the format utility on the XP disc enough? I know some people who use "kill disk" or something similar if wiping a machine due to problems, otherwise the XP disc is fine..

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. hbroomhall

Norton themselves seem to acknowledge this is a problem, as there are a series of pages on their site on how to remove their products if the add/remove route fails! :eek:

Harry.

18. hbroomhall

Format won't remove boot-sector viruses. That said, such viruses are now relatively rare. In theory most such viruses can be removed without formatting by issuing the command 'fixmbr' in the recovery console.

However - writing the first sector with zeros puts the disk back to *apparantly* factory new condition (as fas as Windows is concerned anyway) so is sometimes an easy route to take.

Harry.

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just how much space does the boot sector take up then? :oops

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  20. hbroomhall

The correct answer - 512 bytes - will make most scratch their heads and wonder how a virus can be that small! :biggrin

What is missing here is a bit of ancient and historical weirdness from the dawn of hard disks.

The rule was (and as far as I know still is) that the first partition on a disk started on the first sector of the second track. This meant that a whole track was reserved for the boot system. However the normal MBR only takes one sector of that track.

A whole lot of stuff over the years has lived in that spare space, but two classes of object are the most popular, boot-sector viruses and disk-translation utils.

They both use much the same technique. They overwrite the code in the MBR to read in subsequent sectors of the track and transfer execution to that loaded code. Note that the command 'fdisk /mbr' rewrites that boot code with the standard one, which is why that command is usualy touted for fixing viruses, and was once feared for making a translated disk invisible!

With the demise of the CHS system and being replaced by LBA I haven't really worked out what the current rules about the spare space are. Perhaps it is time I did so!

Harry.