Virtulisation

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by exonje, Jun 23, 2014.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice...

With regards to virtualisation, do you use your normal rig or have you built a separate machine/server for the sole purpose?

I'm looking to install 2 virtual machines - one with SCCM 2012, the other being a client.

I have a spare HP Microserver laying about and was wondering if this would be powerful enough? I will add more ram than the current 2gb installed.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yes it's more than possible, there are a number of people using MicroServers for exactly this reason.

As far as Hypervisors are concerned you have a couple of options available - HyperV and vSphere by Microsoft and VMware respectively.

You also have the option of running an OS on the server and then using software like VMware Workstation, VMware Player, Oracle Virtualbox or even Windows 8.1 with HyperV.

Loads of options it just depends on how you want to do it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Wsphere

Wsphere New Member

If you are still looking to build the VM lab lemme know and post the entire usable h/w config you have that way i can pin it down to whether you need more or not