Virtual PC Setup with internet access

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by datarunner, Mar 8, 2007.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Hi All

Not posted for a while as ive been busy at college.

Anyway I'm trying to setup a server client rig on virtual pc with internet access.

My host rig connects to the web via a router and recieves its ip via dhcp.

Now i have setup the virtual server with 2 nics, 1 using my host nic which connects to the router and 1 using local only for virtual lan.

Here is some additional info in case it helps.

Server NIC 1 Local Only, NIC 2 host LAN card
    Server setup as typical 1st server with DNS, DHCP etc and is issuing ip to virtual clients
    Clients NICs setup as local only

With the 2 nics in the server i can get web access on there no probs.

My question is, how do i get web access on the virtual clients?

Sorry if this has been asked b4 but im pulling my hair out with this.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Need more info to answer this. How are the two NIC's in the server configured? Static IP's? Automatic?

If the two NIC's on the server are on different subnet's then you may need to setup RRAS on the server, and also setup your DNS forwarders to the ISP DNS addresses, or the address of your broadband router (depending on how that is configured for DNS).

It may be a pain for you, but you may be better off disabling DHCP on your broadband router, and setting up static IP's on any real PC's that require internet access. Then you can safely run the DHCP server on the main DC without it interfering with the router's DHCP. Also, you would then put your clients NIC's on host, and it should all work ok.

I'm doubful that you will get it working at all given the current setup, but it may be possible.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

thanks buddy

disabled dhcp on the router and then put everything on the 1 subnet as im not sure of RRAS yet, then put all virtuals on the host nic and now they all have www access.

will help my studies so thanks again.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA