Virtual Network Design

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by JohnBradbury, Nov 9, 2006.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I'm designing a Virtual Training Network in order to create some free training videos. As part of the videos I'll build the virtual network (covering as many of the 2003 mcse exam objectives as I can in the process).

So what should this network contain?

I've come up with a quick design (inspired by the virtual lab designs previously posted) but would love feedback from the board:

http://www.johnbradbury.com/wp-content/images/2.jpg

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hmm, a difficult one this....

One one hand you want to try and stick within requirements for the MS exams, but in reality networks are made up of much more than MS server products.

You may want to try and implement some type of segmentation in there, i.e. a DMZ for webservers, exchange.

Splitting up the network into different subents could be useful too, since you could demonstrate how Windows Server can act as a router.

Just a few thoughts. 8)

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes good ideas Si.

Otherwise it looks good John, you might want to include a WINS server in there as well and maybe an Apple Mac to keep SimonG happy :twisted:

Also a box running sharepoint services maybe, company Intranet (Companyweb), an RRAS server and WSUS.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

A bit off topic, but where did you get those images of the servers, client pc's from? I'm in the process of doing a map of our network and haven't been able to find any decent images for the various bits of hardware.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

They're Visio stencils. Not sure whether you can download them directly from M$' site and use them outside Visio as images (I don't think you can)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Cheers Zeb, i think we have a copy of Visio kicking about at work somewhere. I'll have a look see on Monday. :biggrin

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

In fact, if you go to my site you can see I 'adapted' some Visio stencils for use on my banner...

:oops:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em