Virtual Labs?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Crazydave1990, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Crazydave1990

Crazydave1990 Bit Poster

Currently studying for the CCNA, and just wondered if any of you are aware of any good Virtual Labs?

I'm attempting to configure GNS3, but it just really doesn't appear to like me if I'm honest!

2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I'm just using good old PacketTracer... which is kind of frustrating as some commands do not work, GNS3 uses too much resources and doesn't cover switches for my liking.

I think someone on here had a free Cisco lab you can work from? (could be another forum) have a search around :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

GNS3 is a ball ache to configure I know its annoying but...

When its up and running the features are pretty much exactly the same as having the real kit (dependent upon the image you get).

It is a bit power hungry, make sure you adjust the idle PC value.

Check task manager when you are playing around with that, just use the values that impact the least on your system.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  4. Crazydave1990

Crazydave1990 Bit Poster

I've got some images that I've managed to snag, what are the switch images typically called? As I seem to have several images under one switch name?

5. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Downside to GNS3 is that you can't do switch Emulation. You can pick up a 2950 from ebay for about £25 though :)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  6. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

I thought packet tracer pretty much covered all CCNA requirements these days, it wasn't far off when I last used it many years ago.

I'd recommend checking out packet tracer if you can certainly for CCNA it'll cover 95% of what you need I would think. I also suggest getting your hands on some real kit so you learn some behaviour and what it looks like ;).

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  7. princejoe

princejoe New Member

Why not use Cisco Packet Tracer - Student Edition its quite good if you can't afford a Boson Simulator.