Virgin Broadband restriction

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by twizzle, May 9, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I would love to see those Terms & Conditions. I suspect that either your mate is pulling your leg, or that what he means is the Ts & Cs state they can inspect the traffic on your link at any time they want.

There is absolutely no way on God's green Earth that they would ever be able to get a contract past their legal department which, basically, gave them the signed authority to do what amounts to hacking you whenever they feel like it.

If you can get a copy of those terms & conditions and post them on this site I'd believe it. until then, it sounds like a good pub yarn - but nothing more than that.

For what its worth, I wouldn't consider TalkTalk because, in common with Sky BB, everyone I know who has switched to them has said they are utter toss.

I'm still on SmellyWest/Virgin, the throttling doesn't affect me greatly because I don't download loads of films or music, and yesterday I downloaded the latest release of BackTrack at 8:00 in the evening and got the exact same speed I always get. branson might be a turd, but until I start seeing a serious decrease in service, I'll stick with Virgin. I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of service outages I've had with Telewest over the past three years - that is an absolutely unheard of uptime rate for any other ISP I've used in the past.

They even let me run my own SMTP server... :oops:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Maybe it is just inspecting traffic, but from what I have seen they have actually sent him a message saying that where he had downloaded a file to on his pc would be better to go else where on his pc, so was this just telepathy or did they see what he was downloading and where he had put it

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Tell him to stop downloading illegal torrents. :twisted:

Just kidding... unless he IS downloading them, in which case, he SHOULD stop! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Nah he doesnt do stuff like that, I know someone who does though. And he does it a lot:biggrin

Not me btw

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Couldn't agree more. I also run a SMTP server and never had any problems. Just keep an eye on the IP addy changing and Bob's your fathers brother.

Outages, about 2 in 4 years. My only issue is the cost of it against some of the other BB ISP's, and the fact that they don't offer a static IP addy.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em