Virgin 50Meg Broadband

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I don't particularly care about the upload rate, so long as my download speeds keep rocking 2MB p/s :biggrin

I haven't actually had official notification I've been moved on to the better package, but my net speed has improved considerably recently. I don't suppose it's coincidental.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

More like 5 Mbs,

Trouble with a poor upload is that it does affect the download with regards to TCP overhead. That is what concerns me about Virgin's journey into massive download speeds, the cynic in me says that they know the upload will prevent the full realisation of what they claim to offer. I'd be insterested to see what they're 100mbit service will offer with regards to upload! I hope they offer 10mbit. But that would seriously screw their network and threaten Telewest:NTL leased line business too.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Oh don't get me wrong when I was on the 20mb package I was still getting the circa 750 upload rate - so they've more than doubled one rate and aren't budging on the other. But I do have a great performance overall on the line so I'm going to keep schtum and keep plugging away at iTunes :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

All I will say is, if you have noticed the speed change now...then yes u have been upgraded but I dont know if it will last for long until u actually ring them and get the package changed. This will explain why your upload is still at 768K...mine is at 1.4Meg upload since I changed from 20Mb to 50Mb...but hey I say use it all you can while its there...

Also I didnt expect this thread to generate such a response :eek: lol...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

Apparently Wimax is at 7 times faster than fiber optic.

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC
  6. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

But would that not depend on the layout of the area that you are in? Lots of high buildings would cause drops in speed etc? If this is the case, in order to keep up higher speeds more antennae are to be placed closer than normal to keep up speed which, of course makes an increase in costs.

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Pants. I've got 10Gb fibre going between the two datacentres I use. Wimax can't beat THAT. In addition, the fibre laid by Smellywest (and taken over (and subsequently ruined) by Virgin) theoretically can run a damn sight more than the 50Mb it currently maxes out at (with the requisite infrastructure upgrades). Wimax most definitely is NOT sevent times faster than fibre. Seven times faster than the average DSL line? Maybe.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em