Video Training

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by pvfcpeely, Mar 10, 2008.

1. pvfcpeely

pvfcpeely Bit Poster

Hi

Im currently studying for my 70-291 exam and have been told its better to use the video training instead of just using the books.

Was wondering where is the best place to look for the videos. Are these any good?

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT & HNC Business IT
    WIP: MCSA
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

The thing with video training is that it cant really go into depth quite alot you get a good skimming over on the subjects but you will need to read a couple of books as well.
    Personally I quite like the CBT nuggets stuff as the trainers generally put personality into the presentation as well. I hate it when your watching something and they obviously cant present and seem as if they are reading from a book.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Youtube is the best place..it's free.

have alook at this thread by GBL:- To anyone who can't self study with books

It's excellent and has lot's of training links.:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hmmm, videos are good in some respects, but you can't bookmark a frame in a video to go back and reference it later.

Personally I find using a book and creating a virtual simulation much better because you actually get to carry out the tasks rather than watch someone else do it.

The best way to learn is from experience, which means actually carrying out the tasks/examples yourself. You can only absorb so much information from a book/video/lecture and it doesn't tend to stick in your head quite as well as the memory of actually doing it.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said. :) We learn best by doing, not by reading or watching someone else do it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

If you looking to buy video training then two companies you cant go wrong with are CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal - the later being very good with hands on approaches! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I'd just add, I've used Learnkey in the past, and I found them absolutely excellent.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. pvfcpeely

pvfcpeely Bit Poster

what about the training pack available on ebay? I know they range from £8 to £25 as some have CCNA stuff in there as well. Or would you avoid these and keep going at the books.

Just wanted something i could pop on at work during my lunch break to keep the old brain ticking over?

9. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

For all my MCPs I read the Microsoft press book, spent some hours messing about with my test PCs and used the TestOut CBT materials. Tried a few other video based courses, none came up to the same standard as the TestOut stuff.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. BosonMichael

What training pack is that?

Most computer-based video training products are sold as a non-transferrable single-user license, which means it can legally be used only by the person who bought the product. People who buy the product, use it, and resell it on eBay are not legally authorized to do so... and if you buy it from them, you're not legally authorized to use the product. Protect yourself: if you want to buy a video training product, buy it directly from the vendor.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. pvfcpeely

pvfcpeely Bit Poster

im not sure really, i think it's just a collection of useful material with some videos explaining various subjects, just wondered of anyone had purchased a similar thing and if they are any good.

Most cover - MCSA/E, CCNA, C+, CCNP

I'm probably going to avoid to be honest and get some legal stuff if needed further down the line.

12. BosonMichael

"Collections of useful material" are often filled with eBooks, braindumps, and cracked training software, so you're wise in avoiding them.