Very cool hardware project

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ffreeloader, Jun 11, 2008.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can use it for any grid project you like, not just rendering, that includes weather modeling, computational chemistry, computational cosmology, modeling financial markets, pretty much anything simulation based, algorithmic trading, fluid dynamics, wind tunnel simulation, particle physics etc.

See the 'Software implementations and middleware' section on the link and you will see there are many middleware libraries appearing, also you can always roll your own using sockets.

I keep meaning to look into things like Globus, MPI and even CUDA but never get round to it...

CUDA (Not strictly GRID but shows some of the sort of applications and challenges of parallel processing) -
    http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/sdk/website/samples.html

2. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Edit: I used world community grid for a while, but I couldn't see any of my slow single core doing much of a difference so I packed it in.

This is really cool! Cabinet could have been a different colour though :P

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  3. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

could you run windows on that, just out of curiosity

be interesting to see how it performed on 24 core or wotever it is

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  4. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Yep, no more "Vista is a memory hog" !!

I'm imagining quad sli graphics shoved in; wonder how it'd handle crysis :hahaha

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing