VCP5-DCV any advice?

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Modey, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

It's been a while. :)

I'm thinking of becoming a VCP for two reasons. To boost my employability when I decide to move jobs and also increase my understanding of what I already use (ESXi / vSphere 5.1).

I'm hoping my company will send me on a course, waiting to hear about that. I'm intending to tackle this in the summer, as I'd have limited time to study properly before then. I'd be interested to hear what kind of lab setup people would recommend though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Awh, this post seems to have passed people by...

I'd suggest building out a virtual lab on a single physical system - a quad-core or better CPU, 32GB of RAM, and an SSD for storing VM files.

For the software, you could build from the ground up (AD, DNS, NTP, then the vSphere elements) or get help from Autolab: http://www.labguides.com/autolab/

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Apologies, I apologies as I have been away for a while.

Like Scott mentions you need a decent box (or more) that are capable of running several VM's.

Autolab will allow you to build up environments using 16GB of ram but you will struggle with that, obviously the more you have in regards to ram the better you will find it.

An SSD is going to be the best investment you can get for speed purposes (boot storms on a spinning disk is painful).

For information on what I run in my home lab please have a look at http://www.everything-virtual.com/home-lab-environment-2/

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys, I have just such a machine that I built to start studying this (Quad Core i5 at 4.4Ghz, 32GB Ram, and a couple of decent sized SSD's).

I haven't started to study for it yet, too much other work on, but I will be in the next month or so. Also should be able to get work to send me on a course. If anyone has any recommendations for courses that might be useful.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

One other thing while I'm at it ...

Any training course recommendations? I have been looking at the VMWare vSphere 6.0 Fast track course. I have experience of using QA before who were pretty good I thought but they seem quite pricey. (£3,800). Focus on Training seem to have the same course for £2600. Quite a big difference in price, just wondering if there would be a big drop in quality also!

Or is that not the best course to go for? They do the "VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage (v6.0)" for £2900 at QA also ... Both 5 day courses, although the blurp for the fast track course appears to suggest it's longer hours.

Also, what does sitting this exam get you? Complete the vSphere 6 Foundations Exam - 2V0-620. It's mentioned on VMWare's website but it's not clear to me if you gain any cert for passing it. Is it a VCA, or a VCP or neither.

6. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Nibble Poster Premium Member

Looking at the fast-track course for VCP6-DCV at both QA and Focus on Training, they appear to be the same company. For the Manchester course at least, the start date and address are identical, and in the Pre-Requisites section on the FOT site it says "...it is imperative that you notify QA of ...".

So it looks like it's the same course for over a grand less.

SR

7. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Looks to me like Focus On are a broker/reseller - for Arrow ECS and QA, and possibly others.

Contact the companies directly and challenge them to beat the resale prices...

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah I thought the same might be true as one of the courses from QA had the same starting date and location. I booked the 'Install, configure, manage' course through QA in the end and got a 1K discount as it was the end of their financial year. Got a VMWare exam voucher thrown in also. It's not actually included in the course price!!!

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's normal for exams not to be included in course costs, it's only ever been Academy based training that's had a voucher included.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA