VCP 5 - Borderline terrified....

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Gingerdave, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi All

Its been a while since I've been here as other things had taken priority of studying, however in a recent review I was given the task of gaining my VCP by April as thats when we will be upgrading to vSpehere 5 and they want all the staff certified before that.

So far I have got a copy of Scott Lowe's excellent Mastering vSphere 5 and I'm plowing through that, while building a VM test lab at home on my HP mini server. I have the installing and configuring vSphere 5 course at the start of feb - which I'm really looking forward to.

However I don't know if I am trying to bite off more than I can chew by doing this in 3 months, I have some experiance with our production vSphere 4 setup but not very much. Am I being daft about this?

Any tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done on jumping on the VCP 5 cert track and judging from your post above you're doing the right thing as hands on is the way to go. I did and pass the VCP 4 last Nov, 2011 and found the training signal videos by David Davis a big help and plus.

You can also visit Simon Longs web site for blogs and practice VCP mock exams free and very useful too. The VMware blueprint for the exam is a must as the exam is set based on the content of the blueprint and these are in PDF format which you can download.

Finally, with hard work and commitment which am sure you have you'd be fine when you come to tackle the exam. All the best:) and keep us informed on your progress.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It depends how much you know and what experience you have... I know VCP is not an easy exam, I myself preparing for the exam and I've been studying on and off for the past 2 months... You'll know when you're ready to take. Like Onski said, make sure that you follow the blueprint, from what I hear its pretty important for taking the exam.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

The VCP5 is certainly a tough exam (tight on time), the vsphere5 trainsignal package was an absolute godsend and they also do more advanced packages for certain features, If you have a few bob kicking around then definately buy those. One tip I would say is the courses both the ICM and whats new courses have no bearing on the content of the exam, the things the course covers do not scratch the surface of the required curriculum.

I think with me the vmware exams are the only ones that I've studied more on after the exams. With microsoft exams once passed I've always felt "been there, got that, whats next" but the vmware product suite is so extensive and interesting I'm always going back and investigating new little bits n bobs so you'll probably never feel ready to take the exam you just got to book it and have a go!

You'll also do well to look at the other products that vmware offer, nothing extensive just know their purpose in relation to each other.

Oh yes and good luck!

<enter scott> :)

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I'm bang in the middle of doing my VCP 5 and have been on the course but felt whilst the course was good it was stuff I already knew doing labs. I think as long as you take your time and do plenty of study and labs then you should be ok. I'm also going through Scott Lowe's Mastering vSphere 5 book and have bought VMWare vSphere 5 Clustering Technical Deepdive and a instant reference book as well (god I hate reading IT books).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  6. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

The exam blueprint is absolutely vital - download it today and you'll see what topics/features the exam will test you on. VMware's site also has a mock exam that will get you used to the look and feel of the exam. There are some excellent study resources available online that will help you - practice questions, expanded study notes and reference cards.

Here's the official VCP site: VMware Certified Professional

My blog has some good VCP information and links on it, including my review of the exam: VMware Training and Certification

Get as much hands-on as you can in relation to the blueprint, study using the official documentation as much as you can as it is used to validate the exam items. The ICM course you're attending will be useful, but look through the blueprint for yourself and you'll see that the exam covers more topics/features, and also in more depth too. You'll not find any single training package or book that will tell you everything you need to know.

Scott.

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Three months is more than adequate to study for and pass the exam, as has already been mentioned don't just rely on the course, there is a a plethora of material out there now that can be used to help your study but by far the best thing you can do is get plenty of hands on experience with the products (not just vSphere but also look at the other available products that are part of the vSphere suite of products).

Have a look at Simon Longs site, have a look at vReference (Forbes Guthries site) and look at the cards and posters he has available (I have full size prints of two of his posters up in my home office, wife was obviously impressed ;)).

The Blueprint is your bible on what information you will be tested on. Have a look hereVMware Certified Professional 5 » ValCo Labs for some great Blueprint assistance on what to study.

Good luck and enjoy the course :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Gingerdave

Thanks All, that makes me feel a bit better.

Scott, I have the blue print sat here next to me to go through, as well as the licensing doc, they will be this evenings reading. I had seen some of the stuff on oyur blog, including the review and it has been very helpful. My for the first few weeks I was going to base my training round the ICM and Mastering vSphere 5 book to give me a good grounding, then jumping of to the more advanced stuff.

Simon, its good that you think the time line is doable, I have to admit I was worried. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

9. jasonboche

jasonboche New Member

I heard some comments that VCP5 was a killer. It all depends on how prepared you are. Personally I felt the VCP4 exam was the first where VMware really upped the difficulty level compared to previous VCP exams. I found VCP5 to be a fair exam with an even blend of easy/medium/hard questions, no more difficult than the VCP4 exam. My concern going into the VCP5 exam was the coverage of the Auto Deploy, vCenter, and vDR appliances since I haven't used them much. I have a more detailed review of the exam but this forum doesn't allow URLs to be posted from new members (you can find it on my blog). My recommendation would be to get some solid hands on experience in a lab or live environment, sit the ICM class if possible, read at least 1 thick vSphere book.

Jas

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    Certifications: VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCPx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

All hail the famous Jason Boche, welcome to the forums Jas :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

it wasn't THAT bad, at least, not as bad as I had heard from everyone else

I think I got one or two maximum type questions
    it is a daunting test, most of my tests don't have 85 questions, but it wasn't as bad as everyone said, if you did fine on VCP4 and you study the new stuff, this should go fairly well for you

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. Gingerdave

So I sat the 510 exam yesterday and...... failed.

260/500 with 300 being the pass mark.

Even though I failed the exam wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The areas I fell down on (without breaking any NDA) felt like a lack of in depth knowledge about the interaction between systems.

I thought my knowledge of individual components wasn't bad, but some of the fine details of the interactions I had to guess at.

I think I will wait a couple of weeks before I book that again, I dont want to wast another £170....

13. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

Bad luck!

I've got mine coming up soon, what was you scoring on the online practice exam?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  14. Gingerdave

I was scoring in the 75% - 80% on the one from VMware. I'll be honest thos questions are about the same level as the easiest ones I was seeing in the real exam. The ones from Simon Long's blog are more on track for the level of the VCP.

Good luck

15. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

Might leave it a few weeks lol!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I know its a tough exam.. but I am sure you'll pass it the second time around.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
    Gingerdave likes this.
  17. Gingerdave

Thanks.

It was tough, but not tough in the way I was expecting. I thought it was a good exam tbh, covered a lot of content and in detail.

18. Gingerdave

Finally managed to pass this, a month later than where I wanted but still I passed!

I say finally as when booking my second attempt at the exam, I may, possibly, selected the 510-DT exam. Then 6 questions in was wondering why it was asking me so many detailed questions on View. Queue shocking realisation I had booked the wrong exam - running out of the room paniced that I had booked the wrong exam and went to the envigilator to try and get it resolved.

Resolved was they canceled the exam and I lost the £174 it cost to book the exam. If I knew they would do that I would have sat the damn thing I failed it in my own time.

Booked the 510 exam for the day after (and at a different exam center) and passed with a solid 361/500. Now that I have passed my work will pay the exam fee for the last one.

Saddly leaving me £348 out of pocket for exam fees, but I have my VCP!

19. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass:beers2

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  20. Gingerdave

Thanks Notes :D