Problem VAIO Screen Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skudor, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Skudor

Skudor New Member

Hi,

My Sony VAIO (just over 18 months old) has this weird screen problem - either slim white horizontal lines, greying out starting from the corners, or the image distorts (jumps about, in horizontal chunks). It seems to be related to movement (either moving the screen or the laptop in general) and goes away if you pinch the left side of the screen.

I have opened up the screen casing to have a look at connections etc. and nothing looks loose, nor is the problem triggered by me prodding any wires etc.

It seems to me like a problem with the LCD unit itself, but am hoping for some validation!

Thanks!

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Have you tried plugging it into an external monitor and seeing if it does the same?

On a side note, I've just repaired an HP laptop that had horizontal white lines on it. I found that by moving the screen back and forth I could get a picture on it momentarily, and the lines wuld disappear. At first I thought it was the screen that was faulty, but when I inspected the screen cable and undid the protective tape, there were 2 wires broke. I re-soldered these and it is fine.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sounds like a dry solder joint to connection to me.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA