Utterly confused

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mazzy2u, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mazzy2u

mazzy2u New Member

OK, I have read some of the posts in this forum regarding training. The general consensus is that most training providers that offer fast track courses are basically blowing smoke up the rear pipe. Also, like most things, getting a cert is a long process. But here's where its a bit different for me. I have experience with help desks albeit not in IT, I have a lot of IT experience but nothing on paper, so would a fast track route could be a good choice or, as it has been suggested by a lot of people on here, self study?

I have a bit of an issue with self study, I did a distance learning C language course with Computeach years ago, and I found it difficult to juggle work, life and the studying. I had 2 years basically to pass but the 2 years just flew by and I eventually ran out of time and they wanted more money to add another 6 months on. Which I decided it wasn't worth it as I was struggling with some of the finer points of C (bloody semi-colons!!!). So many years down the line here I am. I have money, my work will allow me some time off if necessary to do a course and as I am fed up with my job, I have the motivation.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The offerings vary widely but the general concensus is you don't get something for nothing, you need to put the time and effort in to pass the exams, someone else can't really do that for you.

Computeach are a training provider and you already mention how they let you down. Many TP's who offer package deals operate in a simliar fashion, yes some do offer workshops and tutorials but these can be pretty minimal for the amount of material you are expected to learn.

However C isn't the hardest language to learn, certainly quite doable in under a year part time, so sounds like you didn't put the work in.

Local tech colleges can be a good bet if you want some hand holding on one of the more common certs, however again it still really comes down to you to study on your own to pass the exam.

You will always have difficulty juggling work, life and studying, all aspects of study have these issues, this is a personal discipline, time management, creating a routine, studying environment, listening to podcasts on the train, carrying that book everywhere, etc. Its down to you to create a learning system that works for you, again regardless of how you do it.

Ironically self study can actually work in your favour if you have a lot to juggle, as you control the timescales, locations, etc. Its like doing your own fitness training vs going to the gym, suddenly you can train in the advert breaks of TV, or run around the block after work etc, you can fit it into your normal regime and make it work for you.

I agree distance learning can be very hard, the OU Math courses I took were made more difficult by the distance learning format. However I generally find IT self study easy, because I find the subject easier in general, already have an IT degree, work in IT, enjoy reading computer books / blogs and generally messing with computers.

There are quality short courses around from Vmware, Oracle etc, but they tend to be prohibitively expensive for an individual in most cases. Really if you are in IT you should be able to self study for most of the more common certifications out there. I've never specifically taken a certification training course, all of my certs have been gained by self study, generally by reading a certification book, practising, then booking the exam.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Couldn't have said it better dmarsh, good advice mate.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada