Using the Windows Recovery Console without knowing the admin password

Discussion in 'Software' started by Flipside, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Flipside

Flipside Bit Poster

I'm currently attempting to fix an XP install on a friend's machine. I started up the Recovery Console and eventually got a prompt asking for the administrator password. I gave my friend a call, he guessed 6 or 7 times, but couldn't remember.

Lord knows why he can't remember, but he can't. I am conscious of the fact that this does sound a bit dodgy, but at the same time I can't imagine it's all that uncommon a problem either.

The PC will not boot to XP currently. I really don't want to just give up and take the easy way out of just doing a fresh installation. There is apparently a large collection of photos on the hard disk which I'd like to retrieve for him.

Any help appreciated!

WIP: A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you can get your hands on ERD Commander, it has a utility called locksmith that lets you change the admin password. However if you can't get your hands on ERDC have a look at these links about resetting the admin password: site1, site2.

There are also alot of linux based utils out there that allows you to do this, I believe that hiren's CD (downloadable off the web) has some of them.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Also did the friend set an admin password in the first place? Have been caught out a few times with that one myself. Have you tried just leaving it blank?

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290