user rights??

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Danmurph, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hey everyone,

Well I am delighted with my domain (small as it is) I cant put the bloody thing down, I actually feel as though Im getting somewhere and taking quite alot in, :D (i feel like this guy here - - - 8)

Thanks for all the help everyone has given me so far which leads me on to my next question...How do you assign users different rights, e.g being able to configure tcp/ip settings in network connections and stuff like that,

Also if I create a group how do I personalise that so members of my group can and cannot acomplish different tasks or do I add them to groups that are already created...if it is the last option how do I edit these groups to give users more/less power within the domain??

Thanks people :D

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Much to think about here! :eek:

To configure user rights in regard to what users can configure on their desktops you can control this with security groups and also Group Policy. Group Policy can mean you can restrict certain parts of the desktop such as access to control panel. Group Policy is a massive topic so I suggest you have a look on the MS website and also configure a few group policy objects in your test domain so you can get a better idea of what you can do with GP.

As for groups you can use them for administration of access control lists for shared folders on your server. From the share you created in the other thread you could create user *group* called Finance in AD, add a couple of users, and then change domain users in the security tab and add the finance group instead. This means you have restricted access to that folder only to members of the finance group. There is other factors to consider here such as share\NTFS permissions and also inheritance, all covered in the 70-290! :biggrin

Any questions just ask. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs