Problem User folder on Vista Desktop

Discussion in 'Networks' started by simonp83, Mar 30, 2010.

1. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Just going through all the group policies for a site, is there a way to turn off the 'User' folder that shows on the Vista desktop or redirect it to point directly at the user's My Documents? I've setup the group policy to remove the 'My Documents' folder from the desktop but this doesn't seem to do anything at all :(.

The issue and the reason behind moving it is to stop people from saving work directly into this area, any work saved into this area get's synced over to the Roaming profile folder rather than to the user's My Documents folder.

So for example, if a user is named Test User, they'll have a folder on their desktop named Test User, inside this you'll have the Links, Videos, Music, Pictures, My Documents, etc. You can redirect the Music, Videos, My Documents, Desktop, etc, but want to either remove the user folder or redirect it. Any ideas?

edit: Fixed it, need to do it via a registry key it looks like.

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu\
    Value: {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Data: 0 (not hide, display)
    1 (hide)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291