USB help

Discussion in 'Software' started by cordenadam, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cordenadam

cordenadam New Member

Hiya, so i had a call from somebody this morning asking the following:

"I am buying a lot of USB sticks to give to customers, and i am wondering if i can get them to do the following:
    When the USB stick is inserted, at automatically opens up a presentation on powerpoint and plays the presentation (which is about the company).
    After it has played i want it to then show the USB stick drive, showing the folders."

Well i know it is probably do able, but i didnt know how, so do any of you guys have a clue of how i would go about doing it?

Thanks in advance

And this is probably in the wrong forum, so you can move it if you want.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This is only doable as long as the user hasn't switched off the auto-run feature. While most people won't have done this the fact that some may have might modify the enthusiasm for this.

Also you need to make it plain to people that this is what will happen. Automatically running something might cause some users to panic, and curse the source of the sticks.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

create an autorun.inf file to play the presentation on putting the stick in, such as
    Code:
    [autorun] 
    open=powerpointA.pps  

more info here

however to have it then open the stick to show the folders, may be a bit trickier

Also if the target PCs have autorun disabled then you're stuck and they would need to go through My Computer to the USB drive.
    As a side,
    I have my autoplay disabled for this kind of reason, I don't want to be forced into random programs loading on my machine without my consent