US Robotics 9003 Router..HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SimonV, Oct 5, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi all I have this router and I'm trying to open certain ports so I can access chats, IRC and send files via msn messenger but I cant find any decent help on the net. The documentation is a total pile of rubbish to say the least and the only decent site I've found is in spanish :evil: and even using google to translate the pages is not helping.

My question is does anybody know of a site that has help on this router? Its totaly doing my head in :banned

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I take it that this is an older piece of technology you're trying to tweak. I hate to state the obvious but, if I had exhausted all my "googling" skills and needed help, I'd be inclined to try:

http://www.usr-emea.com/loc-index.asp?loc=unkg and click on "contact us". I once got an old ProSignia server from my school. It was a freebee that my instructor rescued. It was really ancient, but I thought it would run Linux just fine. I never got it to work but had some interesting times going back and forth with their tech support. They were very helpful but eventually, we hit a snag that just wouldn't be solved (the server only recognized part of the RAM installed and no diagnostic software could be found anywhere that would help the beastie). I finally donated it to a local charity in the hopes that a techie smarter than I could get it to go. It was really fun. It had four scsi drives and when you powered it up, each drive spun up in tandum...it was very loud...sounded like a jet taking off...very cool.

Hope you have better luck with your router (when I saw all the cool stuff on this site I almost fell in love).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I sorted it, I manged to get most of the help from the spanish site then figured the rest out myself. The main problem was that most IRC channels use port 6667 but as i've found out the router will not allow this port to be used even if opened. It can only be used when the firewall is dropped :?: :?: So i figured that if i connected to IRC using another port 6666 or 6665 then it worked.

I had contacted US robotics and they had replied to my email saying that IRC was not suppored with the router. :evil:

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

But just think of all the valuable troubleshooting experience you got out of this... :cussing

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Shuggy

Shuggy New Member

Hi

Am looking for some help of my own with this router...and I agree about the documentation!

I'm running an iMac and a WinNT Laptop. I connect to the router using the two ethernet ports. I'm not doing anything more complex than using the device to share an ADSL connection between the two machines, and I had the device set-up and running correctly at my old address.

When I moved house, I had to set up an new ADSL account, as my ISP said that ADSL accounts cannot be moved.

I did this, and was issued with a new UserName and Password combination.

I set up the new account, and have the following problem:

Both the Mac and the PC can see the router - they can ping it, and connect to the web config interface.

The router can see the Mac and the PC - it can ping IP addresses which they are assigned by DHCP.

My UserName and Password work, because I can connect via a simple Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem, no problem.

I have contacted TechSupport at my ISP, they have tested, and as far as they can see I am connecting to them. They gave me an alternative connection detail to a BT StartUp page, which when I put into the UserName and Password details, allow me to connect to that test page with no problems (but it's only a test page, so you can't make any other HTTP requests from there).

I've tried restoring the USR9003 to factory settings and doing everything from scratch (several times). I've also done this directly by using TelNet and setting things up from a console.

The end result is always the same - the web config interface shows me as connected, the ADSL line shows as good with the expected Upstream and Downstream connection speeds, the IP address which gets assigned by DHCP is in the correct range (I've run IPConfig, IP release annd IP renew commands just in case)....but I get anywhere by typing a URL into a browser.

I thought it may be a DNS resolution issue, but I've checked the DNS sever entries which come down (automatically) to the connected machine, and they seem okay.

I have no idea what I'm missing...it sounds like a firewall problem, but there's no simple way (that I can see) on the USR 9003 to completely lower the firewall to check...and on factory default it surely should allow traffic on Port 80!!

Any suggestions or help received with thanks!

Euan

PS. I emailed US Robotics Support. It took them two months to respond with an email which said "As it's so long since you raised this support issue, you may have resolved the problem by now. If not, please call our support number" ...and gave the same support number listed on their web site...I CAN'T call this number, because it's only open 8am to 5pm Mon-Fri, when I'm at work, and I have to be at home to resolve the issue!!!!!!!!!!