Ur opinions on this post

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Nam, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Nam

Nam New Member

sorry for posting this bit in others thread...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all..I recently joined this forum..and its really pretty interesting to go through all the posts..I am an IT(honors in computer science and engineering) graduate from india..i relocated to UK last year and am based in Hull currently.I have been looking for an IT job since august 2008 and I have been still unsuccessful in getting a breakthrough here.I dont have any experience and whatever I have learnt is pretty less when compared to industry.I have been thinking of going to the university but the amount is very expensive.The hull colleges too dont offfer any good courses to invest money in them.Recently i came across of this company called futures development who promised a money back guarntee job with full on training and practical industry experience.they said they'll place me in a job with their own clients.they are charging 1,600£ for a training period of 6 to 12 months with a dedicated study period of 8 to 12 hrs per week .at the end of it they say they are going to certify me after clearing all exams .I am totally skeptical about all this but still am desperate for it because i feel its like a confidence booster to me.please can anyone let me know before i invset money in it if am doing right ,else is there any other way i can get a breakthrough in the IT field without any experience...and also please tell me about w3schools and its exams and certifications because they tell us about having a teacher or a boss..but if we dont have both who can be the supervisor..please help..

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

W3schools are ok, they offer certifications, however as anyone can do them without a procter, they aren't classed as a recognised qualification. They are more along the lines of a "Certification of Completion".

Now as for you first question regarding the training provider, any company that implies all you need is a PC to gain the MCSE, without experience (in this case see their FAQ's) I would not touch. The higher level IT certifications are there to reflect your job role and experience and not to be used as a substitute for it.

For the MCSE:

See here, and that does not mean just at level 1 either.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Do not fall into the trap of paying people for a job, a job is where you provide a service for money, not the other way round !

If you don't like Hull or its university, move, you've already moved 6000 miles, another couple of hundred won't make much difference ! :D

Try to break up your sentences into paragraphs, it makes it hard to read !

Welcome to certforums. :D

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What is an "Ur"? Sorry, I probably don't have any "Ur opinions"... I've just got the normal ones. ;)

You don't need to spend a bunch of money to get a bunch of certifications... nor do you need to get a bunch of higher-level certifications like the MCSE at this point in your career. Being overcertified is NOT a good thing. I would recommend that you pursue the A+, Network+, and MCDST while looking for your first job... and no further until you build some IT experience.

There are plenty of legitimate training products out there that can help you get certified. For the A+, I'd recommend the A+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition by Mike Meyers. If you need a good A+ lab book, I'd recommend PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles.

What kind of jobs are you applying for? If you're focusing on server or network administration jobs, then you're aiming too high. You should be pursuing jobs that don't require IT experience. These jobs can include, but are not limited to, PC repair tech, field service tech, help desk tech, call center tech, and sometimes, desktop support tech.

Don't buy into promises of job guarantees. Nobody can guarantee you a job unless they have a job offer in hand.

Welcome to the forums. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Nam

Nam New Member

thank you soo much for the help..I am looking for jobs with the title Web developer as i know a bit of PHP,Mysql and html(studied at the university level)..so I would like to build on these concepts...

6. BosonMichael

Then forget about all those certifications I mentioned - none of them will help you in Web development.

Do you have an e-portfolio of code you've written and sites you've designed?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Nam

Nam New Member

I have completed a project with two team members at the university level.but the code was in java,jsp pages as the front end,jdbc for database connectivity and ms access as back end..after that i havent wriiten any code or developed any mockwebsites to put up in my portfolio..i apply to jobs saying that am intersted to start my career in web development with a little knowledge of PHP,MYSQL and HTML.

I have done a bit of programming in these languages and i quite like to build up more on these because its fun with them..will you please let me know how to create mockwebsites and the requirements for it..right now,am leafing through many books and w3schools to improve my knowledge in this area.

8. BosonMichael

You need to create that e-portfolio, then. Employers will not usually hire you for what you might be able to do; they WILL hire you for what you CAN do.

9. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

A good idea would be to get a portfolio together, as Boson said above.
    It would probably be worth getting some cheap webhosting and building your own website- it will provide employers proof of what you can do & advertise your skills at the same time :)
    Try advertising your web design skills?