Upgrading windows server admin skills

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by windowslearner, Jun 20, 2011.

1. windowslearner

windowslearner New Member

Hi

I am looking to understand more on Windows server 2003 rebuild, basic network concepts like network ports/ipconfig, dns, wns, network adapters, cluster administration, trouble shooting etc

Can you please suggest what course i should choose and i prefer weekend/part time courses.

Any training institutes who can help me

Thanks

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Are you wanting to do this for a living? and do you have any experience?

I am guessing no so my suggestion to you is that you learn the basics first. No one walks into these types of jobs without getting experience and building upon this experience.

Training schools will help you get the certs but the certs wont help you because of your lack of experience.

If you want to learn basic networking stuff then you should do the N+ and get some experience before going any further.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. windowslearner

I am already in IT profession for 13 years , in my current role I needed to upgrade to windows 2003 rebuilds and need some knowledge on trouble shooting. I dont need a certification but i need some hands on before i do in my current role

for example, i am supposed to clustering of two boxes next month, so i am trying to get some hands on exp before i try at role. company is not providing any training to me, so i have to do it on my own.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well I think you should learn the A+,N+,MCSA and MCSE the A+ and N+ will help towards the MCSA/E as they count as electives towards them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. windowslearner

I don't think I have time to be trained in all above, unless if somone can provide me customized training or crash course

I am not looking to appear for any examinations

May be someone on this forum can help me in providing training or suggest me any institutes who can provide me customized one-one training for hourly/daily payment

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Can I ask what area of IT you have been working in for the last 13 years?

As far as a quick win solution, unfortunately that doesn't really work because it comes with experience (how long do you expect that knowledge to stay in your head if you learn it over a day or so and then don't use it all the time?)

I would also suggest that you need to start looking at a home lab environment to see if that can help you out more.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. windowslearner

I need these skills in my current role, so I may not be forgetting these though i learn/practice only few days.

What module of Microsoft course will cover clustering of two boxes and fail over etc

I am mainly a CRM consultant

8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

A little strange they'd ask a CRM consultant to do this kinda work, and for Windows 2003 of all things. Next year may see the release of Windows Server 8 (or 2012, whatever name they'll give it). Your company should be thinking about investing in a more modern OS if possible.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  9. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Unfortunately sometimes we need to use the tools/programs our employers want to use. I assume what you mean is that you're self-training and not going towards a specific certification, you just want to learn more about Windows Server. If you're looking for video training material to use, everyone recommends CBT Nuggets they still have material for older versions of Windows Server. You can also search threads here to find recommendations for a good book to buy.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  10. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Nice one dryplate. Windowslearner, is there anyone you can learn from? If you still don't feel confident I'd recommend you tell your employer this is above your skill level. You don't want to stress yourself out putting yourself out of your depth

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

or worse... Get fired for doing the wrong thing and losing company data.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  12. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

absolutely mate, it does happen unfortunately...

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs