Upgrading Ram on Laptop help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shocksl, Jul 15, 2012.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

i tried with both of the 2gb rams, on their own. and got the same result. which is correct.

when I inserted both just now together . it gave me something like 3968 extended memory. But as soon as rebooted it went back to 5631mb!!!

As too the video memory is it okay to leave at 128mb?

- - - Updated - - -

dmasrh thaks for that, but i dont think my cd gave me that option to do 64 regardless :(

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It depends how much graphics stuff you do, less memory means that it will have to unload/reload textures in games, or process stuff in photoshop, or video editors.

128 MB should be fine for standard desktop use in windows for browsers, utilities, word, etc.

If you have an OEM edition then you will most likely only have either 32 bit or 64 bit not both.

License keys are supposed to work on either version, so you could try get the disks from somewhere or talk to the people you got it from about an exchange.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
    shocksl likes this.
  3. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks , Im on the driver page for the laptop . it doesnt seem like the newer version is available or the file is missing when i click on the links :( Acer Europe - Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads, Notebook, Aspire 5050

4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

The 3968MB would be correct, so if this changed on a reboot, there's definitely something wrong here.
    It's fine to have the video 'shared' RAM at 128, or use 256 if you don't mind the less accessible system RAM 'hit'.

I think dmarsh meant that when you buy Win7 'off the shelf' it ships with both a 32-bit DVD and a 64-bit DVD. They aren't on the same disk...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
    shocksl likes this.
  5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

6. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks for that both of you :)

dmarsh , whats the process off flashing. do i just put it on usb stick and go to setup file or something?

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Depends on the laptop, sometimes requires a boot disk or USB key, some times you can now flash from within windows.

There is usually two parts :-

1. A flashing utility which is either a DOS or Windows executable.
    2. A flash image file, this is the binary code that will get written to the flash memory.

What version is your BIOS at ? Maybe read the release notes for the BIO updates.

shocksl likes this.
  8. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

The 3315 BIOS (you may wish to check to see if yours is older...) comes with a Windows-based flash utility and a pdf to explain the process.

But as dmarsh says, you proceed at your own risk.........

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    shocksl likes this.
  9. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks guys,

looks like the bios was the same version as i have on my laptop already version 3315 , 12/08/2008. But I still did it, incase it made a difference. Still the same problem.

So I think i should just install 64 bit OS instead. Would this require more memory etc than the 32bit which in any case would then cancel the benefits of doing it in the first place.

10. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Until and unless you can get the BIOS to report the amount of RAM correctly and consistantly, I'd say installing any OS could well be a waste of your time...

There certainly seems to be some incompatibility problems here...

shocksl likes this.
  11. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Are they the same brand / capacity of RAM?

Are they low density? As I said right back at the beginning, if you buy high density memory, and your motherboard doesn't support it, you are lucky if it works, and definitely would mean that the incorrect amount of RAM is reported. (normally half gets reported though)

shocksl likes this.
  12. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

their both the same brands.

13. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Going back over he thread, how did you get it to do this..?

As I mentioned before, I'm going to guess that its possibly high-density RAM and the setup in dual-channel mode is confusing the BIOS and reporting the size incorrectly. I'm still waiting to hear the make and model nos.

shocksl likes this.
  14. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

15. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

On the RAM does it say something like 64M x 16 or 128M x 32 or something like that? That indicates the density of the RAM

- - - Updated - - -

Are the RAM sticks identical, and not just the same brand?

shocksl likes this.
  16. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

says nothing like that

their identical

17. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Were they packaged as a 'pair' or did you buy 2 separate modules?

shocksl likes this.
  18. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

2 seperate from the same guy. They were packed as brand new. And are totally identical.

19. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

On the plus side the sticks themselves do not seem to be incompatible with the mobo chipset, but it seems that using them in a dual-channel configuration is upsetting the BIOS.
    Sadly, there maybe nowhere you can go with this but to try another set of memory or just use the one module, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, everyone here enjoys helping, or else otherwise why would they join a community?

Don't feel you have to "Like" everyone's post to get them to help further... :)

shocksl likes this.
  20. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

lol you got another like^ :D

I genuinly like to say thank you, because you guys are helping me, and your doing it for nothing. so it's just away of showing my appreciation :)

I was thinking would I be able to install windows 8 on this machine, (not to correct the problem), just for future purposes? and would it be slower than win 7, as i would imagine it might need more higher specs etc.

If not, how about about an i5 laptop i am typing from, it's got 6GB ram on it, would it be compatible with that?