Upgrading IOS on Cisco 2924?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Straylight, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Straylight

Straylight Bit Poster

Hi guys.
    Just want to ask before possibly messing something up. I have Cisco 2924 and a Cisco 2950 switches. Anyone know if I can copy the 2950 IOS on to the 2924. As in, will the 2924 support it? Had a look around but not found a definitive answer.

I've copied both images on to a TFTP server. The image names are.
    c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5-XU.bin

c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-11.EA1.bin

The commands in the latter IOS are more conssistant with training materials. But I'll leav alone if it's likely to toast the 2924, although I was curious. Would rather keep it working as is than have to mess about with Romo mode if it goes wrong.

Cheers

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA MS 70-680
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

You can't stick the 2950 image on the 2924, they are two different platforms, but if you do decide to give it a go and you do end up in Rommon you'll have to reload the IOS back in you will need to do it via the console lead which runs at 9600 Baud, that'll take at least 2 hours, (The entire length of "no country for old men", I once forgot the command to change the speed) you will have to change the baud Rate

Command is:
    switch: set BAUD 115200

Then change the speed on your Console, load the image in via xmodem, at that speed it'll that 10 mins max. Change the speed back and then reload, all good fun.

Or you could buy the 2950 from ebay for £20

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
    Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. Straylight

Straylight Bit Poster

Thanks. I suspected they might not be compatible. I don't fancy doing
    any of that stuff to recover it if I'd tried and failed, I'll leave it alone. :D

Was just curious really. Yep, can always get another 2950.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA MS 70-680
  4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

If you have never done a switch IOS recovery I strongly suggest you give it a go. Best to know how to do it on your own kit rather than one day you have to do it for real etc.

It's not so bad once you have done it once and documented it. I do at least one a week in the class due to corrupt IOS or students inadvertantly wiping images. Still all good fun.

One tip, if you can use hyper terminal to do the xmodem, it have found it more reliable than tera term, never tried putty, but I am now using secure CRT which is the mutt nuts.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree