Upgraded Graphics Card and PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pablo1888, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Hi lads and lassies,

A guy at work is having problems with his graphics card. He recently upgraded it to an ATI Radeon x700 and also upgraded his PSU to a 480w one (not sure of model). He is running Win XP Pro and when he boots up it won't get as far as the logon screen but sometimes he can logon, the icons appear, it then freezes and reboots itself.

I told him to boot into Safe Mode uninstall the card then reinstall the drivers, he has done this but the same problem. He has tried reseating the card but same problem.

Has any of you more knowlegable than myself any ideas? Could it just be a dodgy card? I will maybe get him to give the card to me, and I will try it out in my machine.

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pablo,

I have come across this once before with an ATI all in wonder card.
    The card needs it's own power supply via a berg connector (the same as used for the floppy drives).
    This computer didn't pass POST however which your friends is if it is getting to the logon screen so it might not be applicable to your friends- I would definately check it though!

I would also get the latest driver from ATI and see if you can install it yourself.

Let us know how you get on. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm not sure this is the case.
    I got the quote from here:

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=582

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sorry for giving you misleading info :oops:
    I assumed the X700 range was just the newest range in the All in Wonder- sorry

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. Inqueision

Inqueision Bit Poster

have you uninstalled the previous drivers to the last video card as this can sometimes leads to the system crashin?

WIP: A+ & Network+ now, not mcse (yet)
  7. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Did he have to remove his memory sticks to put in the new power supply or graphics card? If so make sure they are seated correctly. It could be anything really not only the graphics card, perhaps he can try an old graphics card to see if it really is the card obviously if it doesn't work with an old card that he knows is sound then its time too look elsewhere! Sounds very much like an overheating problem to me.

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  8. bigern

bigern Bit Poster

I had the same sort of problem with my ATI Radeon 9800, kept freezing and rebooting.

Unfortunately the only thing that fixed the problem for me was to change out the motherboard, only after I had changed my power supply and checked just about everything else.

Not really what you want to hear I'am sure but it worked for me.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP 271
    WIP: MCDST, 70-270
  9. 808

808 Nibble Poster

try running memtest from a bootable cd and see if it reports any errors.as mentioned it might not be the graphics card.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+