upgrade home premium to ultimate

Discussion in 'Software' started by leosdelsol, Aug 10, 2009.

1. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

hi all,

if i upgrade a machine from home premium to ultimate via dvd, will all my files and progs get transfered?

question 2,

whats the best peice of software for mass file transfer? for example if i had a customer who wanted his/her files,pictures,movies and music taken from an old machine and placed on a new computer?

thanks

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Answer 1: Your files and programs should be transfered since it's an upgrade and not a clean install. But best practise you should back up all files and programs before you commence the upgrade process.

Answer 2: Vista comes with a nifty tool called the Windows Easy Tranfer. This tool will transfer
    User Accounts
    Folders and Files (including music, pictures and videos)
    Program Settings
    Internet Settings and Favorites
    E-mail Settings, Contacts and Messages, from an old machine to a new machine. :)

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

thanks for your reply :) is it possible to use this feature on a machine that is not running Vista.
    windows xp home to vista home premium for example?

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

cheers for the link aj :)

do the transfers include installing programs?
    i.e if i had mozilla or utorrent installed on the xp machine and then done a transfer would i log on to my new vista computer to find them installed?

6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

You can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files and program settings from a computer running Windows 2000 (files only), Windows XP, or Windows Vista to another computer running Windows Vista. Start Windows Easy Transfer on the computer running Windows Vista, and then follow the instructions. Or, if you upgrade a computer from Windows XP to Windows Vista, your files, settings, and programs will be transferred automatically during the upgrade. You do not need to run Windows Easy Transfer.

You can copy Windows Easy Transfer to your old computer using a CD or DVD, a network (if both computers are connected to the same network), or a USB flash drive (for computers running XP or Windows 2000, since they don't have Windows Easy Transfer, OOB). Choose the type of storage device that your old computer can read. If you are using an Easy Transfer Cable, use the CD that comes with the cable to install both the Windows Easy Transfer software and any drivers on your old computer before plugging in the cable. If both computers are running Windows Vista, then both computers already have the Windows Easy Transfer software and you don't need to copy it to your old computer.

AJ's link is helpful. :D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think you'll find there is an element of "suck it and see". Bear in mind an upgrade on top of an existing o/s is always the least preferable method of upgrading your o/s and if you must opt for this then do make sure you've backed up all your data and have program disks available for install if necessary.

I've just Googled around and there are several reports of peope having problems near the end of the install with it bombing out with various error messages.

It might just be an idea to add a second hard drive and install the Vista u/g to that ending up with a dual boot system. Then you can do nice fresh installs to the Vista partition and get everythings et up all tickety-boo and running smooth.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

thanks guys