Update? One for the admins...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by tony.platts, Aug 20, 2010.

1. tony.platts

tony.platts Bit Poster

Hey Admin/Moderator types,

I've been looking through some of the forums today ( I tend to be a bit of a lurker ) and I notice that some of the forums are a little bit outdated. For example, there are some exam objectives, stickied in various forums, which only seem to refer to 2003 based exams and the forums themselves reference Server 2003 exam.

I'm more than happy to put some new posts together but before I did that I wanted to ensure that I wasn't treading on anyones toes.

Having been a moderator of an active forum in the past I'm all too aware how difficult it is to stay on top of things and how annoying it can be when you spend weeks working on something only for someone to post something 2 days before you push your new posts live.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What's wrong with Server 2003? The exams are still going strong... and currently, much more popular than the 2008 counterparts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Would be nice to have some server 2008 stuff as well :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  4. BosonMichael

Absolutely, and anyone who wants to post it, can. I'm just saying that Server 2003 is NOT "outdated". :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. tony.platts

tony.platts Bit Poster

No...what I meant was that the actual posts are outdated because they don't contain any of the Server 2008 stuff, not that 2003 is outdated.

I'll set to work then.

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No, it's a technical thing.

There are more companies out there using Server 2003 than there are 2008.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

The amount of work and effort that would need to be done to upgrade 2003 to 2008 would probably outweigh the benefits of upgrading a system that probably works fine under 2003. The vast majority of servers i'm working with are 2008, with a few 2003 bits and pieces with the original networks.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  8. BosonMichael

Do they currently administer a bunch of 2008 servers, or do they hope to someday administer a bunch of 2008 servers? If those techs haven't yet studied 2003, then they're not preparing themselves for what is currently being used by most companies at the moment - Server 2003. And those companies are going to need techs who know how to administer Server 2003. As was correctly stated above, there's no reason for a company to upgrade to 2008 when 2003 works just fine.

Now, don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying that we techs shouldn't ALSO study Server 2008... but I would recommend studying 2003 first... THEN studying 2008. After all, when the MCSE 2003 is retired, you can't go back. But you will be able to get the MCITP: SA 2008 and MCITP: EA 2008 for many years to come.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It actually makes you a better engineer if you have experience with the older OS's.

As I have mentioned previously it was only 2 years ago that I migrated a company away from NT4 to 2003\2008, just because it's not the latest doesn't mean that people won't be using it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA