Update on my job hunt

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by vp, Nov 1, 2010.

1. vp

vp Bit Poster

So 4 months after finishing Uni, Im still looking. Ive had 3 face to face interviews so far with another 1 coming up this week. So 4 in total out of 150ish applications (yes I have an excel spreadsheet, lol). Just "passed" my first phone interview and was offered a proper interview some point this week.

The general feedback on my interviews has been mixed:

1st one = they went for someone more experienced.
    2nd one = they felt I was more interested in a networking role than a support role.
    3rd one = they said I came across very professional and competent, but they didnt get much of my personality said I seemed very closed.

So obviously things to work on for the next interview is building rapport, be a little bit more friendly and informal.

In regards to skills, I started out 4 months ago with just my degree, I now have A+ and Network+ and Im studying for the 70-271 with the aim of doing that exam at the end of November.

Ive started playing around with VMWare setting up things like Windows Server, Active Directory, Linux/Unix just gaining some experience and trying to be more well rounded.

So besides all that, just wondering from you guys who have actually landed jobs..am I on the right path? Are there other things I could be doing or is it just simply a matter of time until I get something?

Any advice/insight appreciated,
    Thanks.

Certifications: A+, N+, BSc CS
    WIP: MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

From what you say in your post, it sounds to me like you're on the right path. Just continue working on the MCDST and, above all, continue to apply for positions. Use the feedback you've been given to improve your interview skills.

Getting your first IT job will be the hardest... particularly in this economy. Keep at it!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I found that interviews just get easier as you keep piling them on. With the feedback from them, you are able to align yourself to better meet the expectations of the people interviewing you, and eventually you'll be so relaxed, comfortable and confident that anything thrown your way will be dealt with the minimum of fuss.

Just keep up at it and you'll do fine.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM