Upcoming interview, unsure about job though

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Andy L, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Andy L

Andy L Bit Poster

Earlier this week, I was told by an agency that I have an interview at a company for a IT Technician role. I'm currently working in a school at the moment and largely due to its lack of money, I was made the network manager after working there 6 months part-time (and this was my first IT support job too)! While I've been here, I've picked up so much valuable experience and I'm still learning lots although at times, I do feel like I would benefit greatly from having somebody with more experience around to learn from. Being in a school environment can also be very rewarding too but I can't work for too much longer on this kind of money.

This job I've got an interview for is paying £15k, which seems very low for a second job? It's still an improvement on what I'm on now though, which should also give you some indication as to how poor my pay is in my current job. Its description is:

There's nothing in that which suggests that I could put the year's experience I now have to good use - would you guys agree or disagree? To me, it sounds more like a first job than a second one and part of me thinks I could be aiming higher. However, I've already applied for lots of jobs recently with no success - could this have something to do with what the agent told me? 'Stepping out from a school setting into a commercial environment can often be difficult due to the very different perception of the roles. This organisation would provide that transactional step' - would anyone who's made a similar leap (or otherwise) agree or call this out as agency BS?

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer :)

2. Crito

Crito Banned

It's only an improvement if it's as stable as a job in academia. And ask yourself how the agency makes money? Getting the highest salary for you or getting the cheapest labor for the employer?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

No harm in going for the interview to see what the job is all about. It's good experience and you may find that the employer can indicate a better than expected career progression if you already have experience.

Even if you're offered the job you can always turn it down :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Pretty sure that they take a percentage of your salary when you are offered the job in the UK, so I'm sure they try and do the best by you to increase there own earnings.

Naturally the company which is hiring wants the best person for the job at the best price. However, you and the recruitment agent should work together to get you the best salary.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Crito

Crito Banned

That's not the way it works on this side of the pond, but if so then they might have some interest in doing you right. Here recruiters are rewarded for the bold-faced lies they tell candidates. :ohmy

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

We get the lies as well, recently I was about to go for an interview for a job for approx £10K more. Great I thought, until the Company emailed me there job spec after agreeing an interview date. Low and behold it stated 1 week in Leeds, another in London and then two weeks in the office at Milton Keynes.

Didn't get told that by the recruitment agent, so I told the company that I would be declining the interview as I had not been made aware of the travelling. Needless to say they where not very impressed with the recruitment company and had strong words as they really wanted to see me for an interview.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Indo77

Indo77 Nibble Poster

I am in a similar situation. I work as a developer for a College and my boss is leaving. He suggested I go for his job but I am not so sure. His pay scale is only a grade up from me - which might be an extra £100 (if even) a month since I pay pension contributions and student loan repayments. This is all for managing 5 people. I don't manage anyone at the moment and have no expeience of this. When his role started there was only 4 people in our team but now it adds up to 6. I am not sure if it is worth the added stress and responsibility. The situation at the moment though is I will have to take on this role until they get a replacement. Should I just move on?

Certifications: BSc (Hons) HNC
  8. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

I would go after the job if I were you. It would be good experience and you will found out if you are made for leadership.

You can stick it out until something better presents itself.

I would be worried about who the new boss may be if not you.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  9. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I Agree if you have the chance go for it

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  10. PaulBA

PaulBA New Member

Be carefull with agencies, I was registered on Monster and an agency phoned me up offering me a job saying I was just what the company needed, I asked them about wages and they told me 13 grand I told them no, thats less than what I am already on then 5 minutes later they were phoning me back offering me the same job for 18 grand, god knows what the company was offering but you can bet the agency were taking a large chunk for themselves!

Certifications: MCDST, MCP
    WIP: ?
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

An agency let slip an email to me in a reply last year by mistake. They were quoting the company concerned a fee of 35% of my first year's salary but said they could negotiate that down ! :eek:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've had both good and bad experiences with recruiters, but I've not yet had one lie to me. That said, I'm sure many do. If you find a good one, stick with them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!