Up Sh$t's Creek without a paddle

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Nov 2, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello everyone!

Just thought I let you know what's been happening.

As some of you have read my g/f was not happy with the amount of time I spend on these forums and fixing PC's. infact she doesn't like PC's and as she put it "Couldn't give a frag about it":blink

Anyway few weeks ago she gave me the ultimatium it was either CF or her.:(

Also, Abbey convinced me I don't need to do A+ because I was in the job I was studying for. So why bother, get rid of the studying which means I have more quality time for her.

Anyway, the job i was in PC tech for a local hospital. It was temporary contract which I got through work experience, earlier on this year.

Well, while I was temping there I was told there was a vacancy for a permanent position. I applied back in September and then found out another guy in the IT Deptment also went for the job. Since that day he has try to make my life hell. I think I have posted about here, he was the one who boasted about Braindumps.

Anyway, time went by with no date on the interview, finally last week I was told by the manager it was down to me and this other guy in the office. There would prefer me because I am a good worker and they don't trust this other guy, his work ethic is all wrong.

The manager said:-
    I have the right atitude but the other guy has the right apptitude. We would both be expected to go for an interview to sell/prove ourselves.

Last Thursaday I went on a holiday, time out to reflect on things.

When I came back this week I was told by the manager they have given the job to the other guy:ohmy

Sh$t I thought, what the hell is that all about???
    I had no interview, no warning, no letter. Then he told me there might be another vacancy coming up in 3 months time and would I mind waiting.

By the way he said there is going to be another guy working along side you on temporary contract and yes you will have to fill in another application and go for another interview?!

What I though another interview I haven't been for the first interview:blink

So the job is on the rocks again, my relationship with g/f is on the rocks and I am going to need to start studying again

A+ better start dusting off the dust on those books.

Sorry guys, looks like I back at CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

its a pleasure to have you back...

sorry about your situation though - im certain things will get better...

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome back, we missed you :p

Seriously mate, you need to take control of your life, think positive thoughts and try and be more assertive.

To me it sounds like the other guy got the position because he pushed hard for it whilst you were away. He took advantage of the situation and you lost out. Fair enough, dust yourself off and be thankful there is another potential opportunity on the horizon.

As for your relationship, well enough has been said. It's time to stick up for yourself. Time to be a man.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome back, glad to see you here. Sorry to hear about your job, like Pete said, the other guy lucky that you were on vacation. Anyways, I am sure you will find a job pretty soon if not sooner then 3 months.

Anyways ask away and we definitly will help you. Good luck buddy and nice to see you again.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Cheeky bugger! Seriously man work out your life then concentrate on certs.. good to have you again!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Monkey, stick around here mate and we'll get you that job. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Glad your back m8!

Same sort of thing happened to me in an early IT role - job came up and it was between me and a foreign guy...foreign guy played the racisim card and broke down in tears during his interview. I whizzed through my interview and was told that I did welll...very well...but they gave it to the other guy!

Sicknening I thought - but hey this guy gave them nothing but attitude during his 8 months. After he left I got his job - no interview was required.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about your situation especially with your girlfriend. I hope you don't take this personally but if my wife gave me an ultimatium about my career or her (not that she would) I would be packing her bags for her. Does your girlfriend not understand that your studying to give yourself a better chance of a better job and prospects?

Maybe your girlfriend should stop being selfcentred and start thinking about you for once...:eek:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

who needs a girlfriend, when you've got to keep banks at bay and lots of bills to pay, perfect woman substitute.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i hope your joking there mate. :rolleyes:

11. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Man you seriously need to consider if this organisation is one you want to work for, a health board you say?

How long were you on holiday for? I dont understand how they can inform you there is an interview and then not even have the decency to give you it. I must admit I would searching for new employment. I mean your already there but they want you to re-apply for the job, ususally translates as "we are looking for a way to get rid of someone"

How far are you along with the A+? Maybe it would be wise to look at the Microsoft desktop or XP cert, even the server 70-290 if you think you can handle it. In my experience a company will go for a MCP over A+ everytime.

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I think you will find he isnt...lol...I agree with him...why should a guy who is so passionate about PCs give up the one thing he loves purely cos his other half says so?

My ex-fianceé didnt like me spending more time on the PC but she knew thats what I loved doing. So yeah like nugget says who needs a girlfriend? damn I have been able to upgrade my machine now and about 2yrs I would never have had that chance...and I been single 17mths and I am happy...seriously who needs a woman? lol...

Welcome back UCM by the way...this is where you belong fella...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Welcome back UCM. I hope it all works out well for you. There's no better uplift than passing an exam in a field that you chose and that you studied for. Go for it mate! 8)

All the best,

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Welcome back, some wise words have been spoken here.

Relationships are all about compromise. My gf doesn't complain about me being on the PC because she gets to watch all here soap operas while I'm out of the living room.:D It sounds like your gf needs to learn the compromise thing.

Also, I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason, I've never lost out on something and it not pay off further down the line, you'll see.

At least you have made yourself noticed at the company, that can only be good. Get that A+ and it could be the final foundation that will get you that promotion. Good luck.

It's perfectly common in private companies to have to apply for internal jobs as more often than not, the jobs are also advertised externally. Also, as UCM works for a public body, you'll probably find they are obliged by law/policy to open all positions to both internal and external candidates.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Pete:thumbleft

Wise words and good advice:rocks

I have taken steps and been more assertive, I am on break from my g/f and getting A+ is my main concern now!

So I will be pestering you and everyone here on A+ stuff:biggrin :biggrin :p

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mate!

It's good to be back:biggrin

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Nugget:clap :thumbleft :salut

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This experience will just be one of many over your whole IT career mate.

Glad to hear you are starting the A+ studies again, nice one! 8)

Good to be back?? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Yes it's good to be back I actually missed this forum.

sad but true I have become addicted to this place and the missed the friendly community:biggrin

Anyway, it's time I signed off and hit the books for more studying!

Have a good weekend Sparky:biggrin

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Admins know best (we have a special tracking tool :wink: ) You never really left, m8 (no one yet truly has left CF for good) - glad to see you :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity